Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

I re-read almost every book I own. I've got this one series: The Wicca Series by Cate Tiernan. I started collecting these when I was 13. But I read faster than I earned money, so I re-read them until I could buy the next one.

I guess re-reading my books kind of stuck with me as a (bad) habit since then. It does save you a lot of money..

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to re-read books if they're part of a series, just to refresh my memory when the next part is due.

The most I've re-read a book to date is three times. That was The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton: once when it came out, again when the second book came out, and again when the final book was published. And I'm intending to read Pandora's Star, by the same author, for the third time, so I can finally get around to reading the sequel :(

Hi all,

Newbie here so be kind! :D

I try not to read the same books over again as I always want to try something new, but I have one vice, and its the Flowers in the Attic Series by Virginia Andrews. I have read them all 7 times over and still I could read them again..... I just dont know why!! :lol:

But seriously, if you like a book, why not re-read? Is like you watch a film you love multiple times, you don't just watch it once do you?

I don't get people who don't re-read.:lol:

I don't have time! There are too many other books, and other things to do. I very rarely re-read at all, but I also rarely re-watch films. I enjoy not knowing what's coming.

There are also a lot of questions about re-reading: if you know the ending, does it change the characters? The foreshadowing, the characters' motivations. For me a lot of the thrill of reading is the unexpected turns in the plot.

There are also a lot of questions about re-reading: if you know the ending, does it change the characters? The foreshadowing, the characters' motivations.
If the book's any good, yes :lol: I find that one of the best incentives towards re-reading, actually. Gaiman's Anansi Boys I started over the day I finished it for instance, precisely because I wanted to savour all the subtle foreshadowing Neil is so good at.

Hmn...

Harry Potter series, on average 7 times each. Except the Order of the Pheonix, which I read everyday of the month that it released in. And yeah, I read it once a day.

Wheel of time, thrice on paper, once on ebook.

Lord of the Rings thrice.

I read a lot of Agatha Christie in my late teens & used to keep a note book with the ones i'd read in it but unfortunately i lost it when i moved & couldn't remember which ones i'd already read so never bothered reading anymore :blush:

Ouch. Tough luck.

I usually don't read a book more than once, unless its been a while and a movie is coming out based on the book. Although sometimes I think I might as well not read the book right b4 the movie because it can ruin it for me! But I like telling my boyfriend what REALLY happened. Like in My Sisters Keeper...

I will reread a book when the story particularly strikes me and it becomes memorable or when the writing is so lovely that I want to savour it again. For example, I read Watership Down when I was in my teens. I absolutely loved it so it is on my TBR pile to be picked very soon. It will be interesting to see how I like it after so so many years.

I recently read The Bridge of San Luis Rey. Small book but beautifully written. I will definitely have a reread to savor Wilder's use of language

I tend to re-read non fiction more than fiction, in particular spiritual books that I have found helpful, some of which I have read maybe half a dozen times. I don't generally read fiction more than once though.

I couldn't count how many books I've read more than once - I've been a "re-reader" since I was about seven and discovered an old school story of my dad's that I loved, and read over and over.

I've had folk give me very funny looks when I say I read books more than once - but I tend to think, if you have a favourite song you don't say, "Oh, I really liked that - I'll never listen to it again...!" :)

• 2 months later...

These are all books I've read multiple times:

- Most of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

- The Stand by Stephen King

- Maia by Richard Adams

- The Chronicles of Narnia by C S Lewis

- Savages by Shirley Conran

- Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren

There are more, but those are the ones that jump straight to mind.

I re-read a lot of my books, particularly as sometimes I'm not in the mood for something new. Favourites of mine include:

+Harry Potter by JK Rowling

+Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

+Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer

+Most of Sophie Kinsella's books

+Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

+A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

+The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast

+Vampire Diaries series by LJ Smith

When I have read a series of books, I tend to skim-read them the second or third time, cutting to the interesting parts or bits I want to read.