Have you read a book more than once?

Inver

:) Spoke about this on another forum. My book is 'Shell Seekers' by Rosumunde Pilcher. Think I have maybe read it 3 times. :(

What is yours. :)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are quite a few on here that like re-reading. :)

I don't do it often. As far as I can remember:

The 'Rama' series by Arthur C Clarke

River God by Wilbur Smith

Clan of the Cave Bear, Valley of Horse, and The Mammoth Hunters by Jean M Auel (the rest I've read once).

Every single book I owned before Christmas had been read at least twice and the 40 odd Stephen King's I own have been read so many times I've lost count! The books I have read the most often are probably books 1 to 4 of the Gunslinger series or Ben Elton's Popcorn.

There are HEAPS of books I re-read:

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series

Christopher Brookmyre's novels

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Stand by Stephen King

Those are just a few & I've lost count of the amount of times i've read those ones - & I know I'll read them again too!

There are others that I don't re-read quite so often, but if I listed them all here I'd take up all the space - LOL!

I've re-read all my Famous Five, Mallory Towers and St Clares books recently. They are very dated now, of course, but I still enjoyed them!

I've also read Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier, Beyond This Place by A J Cronin and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes more than once.

Other than that, I have so many books on my 'To Read' pile, that I feel guilty if I don't concentrate on that!

Other than that, I have so many books on my 'To Read' pile, that I feel guilty if I don't concentrate on that!

I try to avoid re-reads for the same reason. If I do re-read I listen to things on cassette in the car. I can't listen to something I haven't read as I miss chunks when I go over a roundabout or something. If I know the basics of the story then it doesn't matter so much!

In this way, I have "re-read" Jasper Ffordes Thursday Next series a number of times. I have also re-read a couple of Philip Pullman's books (not His Dark materials yet though) in this way.

I recently re-read "The Yellow Wallpaper" by Charlotte Perkins Gilmore - but as it is only about 30 pages long that's cheating a bit!

Just started to re-read "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath - inspired by the Gilmore, both were A Level texts for me - but have had to lay this to one side again to read a load of other things that have just bumped their way to the top of the pile.

If I do re-read I listen to things on cassette in the car. I can't listen to something I haven't read as I miss chunks when I go over a roundabout or something. If I know the basics of the story then it doesn't matter so much

I had thought of buying the Harry Potters as audios. They may help me to sleep.

It is very rare that I get rid of my books and they are nearly all reread albeit some more than others.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre and Jude the Obscure have been reread so many times I've lost count, LOL :)

Philippa Gregory, Jean Plaidy, and Thomas Hardy are definate rereads

Oh i do it all the time, i get novel amnesia so it saves my pennies if i'm bored and bookless. mainly its all the Harry Potters, The mamoth Hunters and the shelters of stone by Jean Auel. Occasionally i revisit a pratchett book but i think i'd reread any book i enjoyed if enough time had elapsed.

• 6 months later...

Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy and Germinal by Emile Zola.

Unfortunately though my TBR list is always so long that it's hard to contemplate re-reading books. I did it all the time as a child (more time then) re-reading in particular Enid Blyton.