Advice Please~on the best place to sell books

Heather

I decided that the hassle wasn't really worth it.. there's never much money left after paying the postage, and I have to buy jiffy bags, get to the post office etc. I occasionally pop a few books on greenmet, but generally I hand them in to a charity shop.

I must admit to doing the same as Michelle. I usually manage to sell one book every four months on greenmet, so it's hardly worth the bother.

Louise and H&D, are you selling as private sellers on Amazon? I think I had an account there many moons ago. How does it work? I thought they were all traders...businesses.

Pp

I must admit to doing the same as Michelle. I usually manage to sell one book every four months on greenmet, so it's hardly worth the bother.

Louise and H&D, are you selling as private sellers on Amazon? I think I had an account there many moons ago. How does it work? I thought they were all traders...businesses.

Pp

yes private seller on Amazon - I don't have a business - just post your books I am v honest about condition and really only sell good ones that will make a profit - eg the piano grade books are usually in good shape with pencil marks in the side easily erased by buyer. Amazon post them free for 3 months I think then tell you if they haven't sold - youu can also easily remove them for sale when you go on hols. If they sell they deduct a small fee and pay the rest into your bank account.

• 1 month later...

I've only sold on Amazon and eBay and of those two, Amazon is definitely preferable. You only pay a fee if the book sells, and they deduct it from your takings so you don't have to actively pay a fee to them the way you do with eBay (with eBay, you pay even if it doesn't sell). Having said that, as Michelle says for most normal books you don't end up with much after deductions, and I found it just wasn't worth the hassle of keeping stocked up on jiffy bags and getting deliveries out within 48 hours to keep my feedback rating up. Now I just give my books to the local charity shop.

I tend to get rid of my books at a second hand bookshop I visit in Alnwick, they don't give you money for them but you have an account with them and they give you credit to get more books. They give you a reasonable amount for each book plus the actual bookshop is a converted railway station so there is a massive selection of books there.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
yes private seller on Amazon - I don't have a business - just post your books I am v honest about condition and really only sell good ones that will make a profit - eg the piano grade books are usually in good shape with pencil marks in the side easily erased by buyer. Amazon post them free for 3 months I think then tell you if they haven't sold - youu can also easily remove them for sale when you go on hols. If they sell they deduct a small fee and pay the rest into your bank account.

How do you know what to charge for the books? Do Amazon give you recomended prices?

How do you know what to charge for the books? Do Amazon give you recomended prices?

You have to set your own price. The only guide you have is what everyone else is charging for the same item, although the item condition will vary from seller to seller.

• 1 month later...