Franz Kafka

z10

The Trial is on Mount TBR and as it's a short one, I could bump it up a few slots so we would have something to discuss. Then again, size isn't everything (ahem) so it may be the case that it has depth despite its brevity and deserves more of my time.

• 10 months later...

Some people find reading Kafka unbearably depressing. Others claim it's a hoot. Still others see meaningful spiritual implications in his work. Probably, his work is all of these things and more.

The first time I read The Trial and The Castle I got a queasy, helpless feeling in my stomach, like descending in a fast elevator. However, Borges claims the form of Zeno's famous paradox, "is precisely that of The Castle" and that "the arrow and Achilles are the first Kafkaesque characters in literature," which I think is a good way of looking at Kafka's work: as presenting abstract, metaphysical and spiritual problems, rather than being stories of nightmarish hopelessness.

oh, kafka certainly deserves a lot of time to ponder

part of his skill is what he says by not saying it

I agree. I bought a book of his short stories - read "The Judgement" twice to get a better picture, have yet to read the others, look forward to doing so tho :roll:.

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation

Without wanting to be silly, The Trial isn't exactly a classic "christmas present" kind of book...

Well maybe not:) but I basically had a large list of books that I wanted and so I used christmas to get as many as I could:D

Also I never really look at books in that way. It's the same with music, I don't have to be in a particular mood. I just enjoy music/reading.

• 1 year later...