Maureen's Reading Blog (2006)

Maureen

I started off the year with the second half of Terry Pratchett's The Dark Side of the Sun.

I found this to be a difficult book to read, I had never read any Sci-Fi novels before. (In fact I dragged on and on with it and the book is all of 159 pages). I think I missed more illusions than double what I got, but some of the ones I got were quite entertaining. All the characters and races and robots, apart from the planets, were confusing to me, but the author really has a vivid imagination.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I certainly do not agree with everything the author says in his book about men and women... he has every base covered, as he goes on to explain how women may identify with male characteristics and vice versa.

Some theories seem too far fetched to me, but some others are interesting.

Hi Maureen, I was wondering if you had ever read any of Linda Fairstein's books, her style is similar to that of Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell, except that rather than dealing in the forensics side of things she is in the law side but the formula for each book is the same as Reichs and Cornwell.

Nope never tried her before. Another one to look out for then. Thanks a lot for the suggestion Inanna.

My pleasure Maureen, Linda Fairstein is in my top 10 author list so I'm happy to recommend her books to others.

I do suggest that you start with her first book 'Final Jeopardy' as like Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell, she has the same set of characters throughout her books and if you start at the beginning you get to watch them develop. :D

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus is one of my favourite books Maureen. I found it hilarious and very close to the truth in many aspects.

Well to tell you the truth, although I agree with some reasonings and things the author is describing, other things sound silly to me.

Well to tell you the truth, although I agree with some reasonings and things the author is describing, other things sound silly to me.

You're not the first person I've heard say that Maureen and I'm now beginning to wonder if, before my husband, I dated nothing but martians! :shock:

The 'bear in cave' theory, in particular, I found very true of my past boyfriends.

The bear in cave theory will happen to everyone I guess, from time to time - at least it happens to me! (When I hibernate for a bit) But it is not an every week occurance! Don't get me wrong, I am finding this book an interesting read, just do not agree with all the stuff I am reading!

I did start Indelible, and am enjoying it so far. Same characters as in previous books, but this book goes backwards in time and tells a part of a story, and comes to the present and continues with another one. I am guessing they will finally mesh............

I read them first as a very small child & was hooked by them. I still reread them regularly now as there's always something fresh about them. They're timeless & never date for me. I adore them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has been a strange week as far as reading is concerned. I was sick last weekend, and could not even find the strength to read, and then was not in the mood for the rest of the week. Today, however, I picked up where I left off .....Trace, which is the current month's Reading Circle book. The characters have changed a lot from the previous novels, and I don't think it is a positive change. more later....

Remembered that I had bought "The Growing pains of Adrian Mole". I bought this because I have The Cappuchino Years, which I read a few years back and remembered as being hilarious.

Read The Growing pains. It is a very funny book.

ASH Wednesday.

This is my parents' special day.

They are getting through thirty fags a day each. If Social Security hear about it they will get done and quite rightly!

Am thinking wheter to re-read The Capuchino years.

On to Adrian Mole's The Cappuccino Years. There are a few more diaries in between, so in the Growing pains he is a 15 yr old and now he is an adult and a father.

That's another book on my wish list,The Cappuccino Years.

I remember reading Adrian Mole's diaries when I was about 14 - 15 and I loved them