Favourite book covers

Janet

Please keep images to a reasonable size and do not hotlink , but upload them to somewhere like Photobucket. Or, link to the relevant page at amazon. - thanks. :lol:

I know the old adage "never judge a book by its cover" but I must admit I often do!

Anyway, I just wondered whether anyone has any favourite book covers.

For me, it's often about feel as well as looks.

The most recent one I've liked is Mister Pip (so pretty!)

005-2008-Feb-29-MisterPip.jpg

I also have a soft spot for this version of Rebecca - one of my favourite books of all time - because it's so 70s which is when my copy was reprinted!

Rebecca.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For Gelfing:

I hope this is the correct cover.

C_074329890X.jpg

The Book of lost things by John Connolly

31967VBJR2L_AA200_.jpg

Weaveworld by Clive Barker

charlott.gif

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

:lol:

• 1 year later...

Looking at the wonderful artwork of the books in other threads got me wondering if there's been a thread on favourite book covers.

It seems to be an underrated aspect of literature, and it's usually the basis of a decision to either pick up a book or not.

Yet, the very saying that 'you can't judge a book by it's cover' illustrates just how misleading the artwork of novels can be.

What books would your finger have skimmed over were it not for that image on the cover, and how much does it influence your decision on whether or not to buy or loan them out?

What are your views, and what examples would you give?

Interesting thread, the two most recent boooks I have picked up which I was drawn to have both been by the same author. the End of Mr Y and Popco by Scarlett Thomas, mainly because the books were brightly coloured but also because the edges of the book were in black which made then stand out. I ended up enjoying both the books though.

What I hate is when they change the covers half way through a series if its been popularised by TV or film adaptation as I then have to check to see if its one I have read before. eg Charlaine Harris Sookie Stackhouse, I prefer the older versions myself.

I have lost count of the number of books I have bought over the years on a whim because it had an interesting looking cover, only to bring it home and give up halfway through because it just wasnt my thing.

The latest book I did this with was a few years ago now, but it was The Lovely Bones, although a little bit of hype had an influence as well.

Now if I am going to get a book it will be after I have looked it up online , read some reviews etc. and it makes no difference, although you cant help admire the artwork on some, just dont buy it on the strength of a pretty cover :D

Underrated, who on earth by? Certainly not by me :D.

just dont buy it on the strength of a pretty cover

I actually buy books on the strength of their pretty cover all the time, more than is good for my wallet in fact, and the method hasn't failed me yet. I've discovered many a new favourite author in this manner (i.e. Jasper Fforde, Neil Gaiman), and a Keith Miller's The Book of Flying - which I'd never even heard of and got bought only because the cover was pretty and strokeable to the touch - is officially my favourite fantasy book ever. I could continue.

On top of trusting my instincts re: covers when deciding whether or not to buy a book, I'll go so far as not buying a book I already know I want when the cover doesn't please me - I'd rather wait to find and pay a bit extra for a pretty edition than settle for something which doesn't do anything for me aesthetically. Books for me are the synthesis of words, typeface, binding, coverart... I feel shortchanged whenever one of these elements isn't in harmony with the others.

The last book I bought because the cover art ended up becoming one of my favorite series. The Moral Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare (City of Bones is book 1) I don't know what it is about them, but the covers almost tell a story all their own.

40764952.JPG40765426.JPG51727076.JPG

On top of trusting my instincts re: covers when deciding whether or not to buy a book, I'll go so far as not buying a book I already know I want when the cover doesn't please me - I'd rather wait to find and pay a bit extra for a pretty edition than settle for something which doesn't do anything for me aesthetically. Books for me are the synthesis of words, typeface, binding, coverart... I feel shortchanged whenever one of these elements isn't in harmony with the others.

Agreed! :D

I can't seem to find a picture of my favourite book covers, but they are the 2009 Bloomsbury editions of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Suzanna Clarke and Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe - both done in strikingly dramatic black and white. :(

No matter how many times I plan what books I'm going to buy based on reviews, recommendations and interviews, I'm a complete impulse purchaser and end up buying the books with covers that attract my attention. I don't care if I end up not liking the book, that's a risk even if I've read great reviews, so why not just buy the ones that look pretty/interesting/intriguing?

I love the cover to The Stand, but the limited edition's price tag is a bit steep. It was advertised, back when it came out, on the back of an issue of Skeleton Crew magazine, and I debated whether to buy it or not. I'm kicking myself that I didn't spend the money back then...

That is a beautiful book!

I really like Diana Wynn Jones's book covers they're so bright and pretty, I can't help but have a look example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enchanted-Glass-Diana-Wynne-Jones/dp/0007320787/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266479813&sr=8-1

• 1 year later...