We are what we pretend to be

Slim Jenkins

Hi everyone

I won't pretend to be clever, rich, successful or handsome...;)

Here in Camden Town, when I'm not out drinking with Amy, partying with Jude, swapping notes with Alan Bennett or helping Tim Burton with film scripts, I like to chat on forums so I thought I'd join up and see what you all have to say.

Philip Larkin said most books have 'a beginning, a muddle, and an end' - I tend to agree, although sometimes I finish one and feel satisfied. More often than not I stop when the 'muddle' begins because I've got fussier with age. If you're wondering how old I am...I remember Andy Pandy, coal fires, a home without a phone and Ziggy Stardust when he first appeared.

Some authors I like:

Bill Burroughs

Cormac McCarthy

Raymond Chandler

Grahame Greene

Sounds:

Charlie Parker

Lee Perry

David Bowie

James Brown

Films:

Taxi Driver

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Apocalypse Now

Casablanca

I write fiction and had a book about modern jazz published a few years back. Along with dating the most popular girl at secondary school it's my proudest achievement.

'Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth'

TTFN

If you're wondering how old I am...I remember Andy Pandy, coal fires, a home without a phone and Ziggy Stardust when he first appeared.

I guess that makes us a similar age ;). I love trying to explain houses without phones to my teenage girls (and black and white tv).

Loved the intro - I think you'll fit in well here.

JudyB

Hello. ;)

Your post made me laugh. I approve. You may join us.

Thank you for allowing me to join you...:D

I guess that makes us a similar age :lol:. I love trying to explain houses without phones to my teenage girls (and black and white tv).

Loved the intro - I think you'll fit in well here.

JudyB

Thanks Judy - I knew a generation gap had opened up behind me when a lad asked me to tell him all about Punk Rock...:D:)

Thanks Judy - I knew a generation gap had opened up behind me when a lad asked me to tell him all about Punk Rock...;):D

Ha. ha - funnily enough I asked my daughter's new boyfriend if he liked 70's punk last night - he's in a band and says he plays (and likes anything).

LOL - maybe it would have been fairer to put 'likes to play anything'. Apparently though 70's punk is very difficult on bass guitar which surprised me as I always understood the whole punk thing to be about anyone being able to play.

LOL - maybe it would have been fairer to put 'likes to play anything'. Apparently though 70's punk is very difficult on bass guitar which surprised me as I always understood the whole punk thing to be about anyone being able to play.

;) I find that hard to believe...pretty basic skills required...perhaps he reflects the state of 'musicianship' amongst the current young generation? He's rubbish! :D:D