Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just downloaded the PDF files of all the Kelley Armstrong e-fiction - I'm going to print it all off so I can flick through it all at my leisure in between all the other stuff (forever adding to my "to read" shelf - LOL!)

Well, I finished JABC last night (I'll do the review later on) & was planning on starting The Sunday Philosophy Club by Alexander McCall Smith, but as the Reading Circle book for February has been decided & I am between books, I think I'll start on The Devil in Gray by Graham Masterton instead.

The review for JABC is now posted, my list has been updated, & I'm planning on making a start on The Devil in Gray tonight. There's a feeling of satisfaction in that, actually. Wish I could go & get started on the book now, but there's so much to do today!

Devil in Gray has quite an opening! I won't spoil it for anyone by telling anything about it, but I was in the bath & when I finished the first couple of chapters, I actually said, out loud, "what an opening!" Let's just hope Masteron can keep up the pace, because if he does, it'll be an exciting read, that's for sure!

Finished DIG this evening & am just about to post the review - but don't go reading it till you've read the book if you're going to, guys. Just in case. I do try not to put spoilers into the reviews, but it can be touch & go sometimes. Dying for a few more folks to read it so we can all discuss it properly. Dale said he'll post the book to Inanna for me tomorrow, so you won't have to wait till after the weekend after all - it should be with you within a couple of days - hurrah!

Decided to join Michelle in her additional Reading Circle, American Gods by Neil Gaimen, as I got this one for Xmas off Dale & have been dying to get into it. I thought about suggesting it for one of the voting choices for the next Posh Club meeting, but I can't wait that long to get to it - too impatient - LOL!

I'm hoping to start American Gods in the bath tonight.

That's just what I did - I read 50 pages straight through & so far so good. I have the "Author's preferred text" version, which apparently (according to the foreword) has an extra 12,000 words to it...

Read another 50 pages in bed before Dale finished with his online game & came to bed. It's really good so far. I'm really enjoying the idea of "old gods" (similar to Pratchett's "small gods" idea...)

Dale said he'll post the book to Inanna for me tomorrow, so you won't have to wait till after the weekend after all - it should be with you within a couple of days - hurrah!

Oh thats brilliant, tell him I said thank-you :D

I'll start this ASAP so I can join in the discussion :D

Started reading Savage by Kelley Armstrong (one of the Otherworld online novellas) last night. It folows the story of Clay as a child, how he came to be a werewolf & how Jeremy Danvers came to take him into the Pack. I printed this one off so I could read at my leisure, so it's all on A4 paper - found myself about 30 pages in while waiting for Desperate Housewives to start! It's pretty good so far & already I'm beginning to understand the character, to whom I was initially introduced in Bitten, a little better. It's really uncovering how he came to be the way he is. Im' enjoying it.

(I'm reading this alongside American Gods, so I don't get too far ahead of Michelle, as she's reading it with me & I'm enjoying it so much that I have a tendency to speed on ahead - LOL!)

I'm up to part 2 of AG. I can kind of see where part of the story is going, but not all of it - it's a bit of a mystery, but I'm looknig forward to solving that, THere's been a lot of reference to "a storm" that's coming. It's not arrived yet, but I think that when it hits, it's going to be an absolute hum-dinger!

Almost half way through Savage (the 1st of Armstrongs online Otherworld novellas). It's really interesting finding out a little more about Jeremy as a young man & the relationship with his father, Malcolm, seeing as Jeremy was introduced in Bitten as the Pack Alpha, it's interesting to see that his own father thought so little of him. Very good so far.

I'm now almost 1/2 way through American Gods & there's still a fair bit of mystery, the storm's still brewing & I'm still playing "spot the God". I'm still very much enjoying it though. :D

Finished Savage by Kelley Armstrong, Very good indeed. Am moving on to Ascension now, which follows on from there, I think. Still reading American Gods too, but I'm rather enjoying having two on the go at the moment.

Almost 1/2 way through Ascension now. It's a really easy read & I was right, it does pick up from where Savage left off, so I'm finding out a whole lot more about not only Clay, but Jeremy, Peter & Malcolm too. Great reading!

I'm about 1/2 way through Beginnings now - crikey, i'm really galloping through these! They're so easy to read & it's great finding out what went on before we were introduced to the characters. This one follows how Elena & Clay first met. It's made even more intense by the fact that anyone who's read Bitten knows how betrayed Elena felt for years afterwards, so it's fantastic to finally hear the story from both sides, as it's taken in alternating chapters from the POV of both Elena & Clay.

I can't believe it - I've finished Beginnings already! Couldn't put it down. loved all the back-&-forth stuff between Elena & Clay - it was great seeing it from both sides right up to the point where Elena is bitten. Great read! I'll be passing this along to Inanna now, so you can expect it within the next few days...

Moving on to Otherworld Tales now...

I'm now several stories into Otherworld Tales 2005 & very much enjoying it - it's filling in all those little bits that you don't get to see in the books, with the characters we maybe don't know so much about. If you haven't read the books already, this collection of short stories won't make much sense, but for someone who's read & enjoyed them, this is a nice addition. So far I've read stories about Aaron (vampire - how he came to be one), Talia (Adam's mother - how she discovered her son is a half-demon), Jeremy (werewolf - his conception & birth), Logan (werewolf - his introduction to the pack), & the first adventure of Adam & Paige (half-demon & Witch). Just started on the next one about Lucas (Sorcerer). All very interesting, getting to read about all those things that are mentioned in passing in the books.

American Gods is progressing nicely. THe story sometimes feels al ittle disjointed, but I get the feeling that everything's going to come together in the end & make some sense. If it doens't I'll be a little disappointed.