Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished The Dark Behind the Curtain. A bit dated, but a pleasant enough read - review tomorrow.

Starting Trace tomorrow too...

And I love CSI too - I have a thing for Gary Dourdan - mmmmmmmm!

Gave up on Trace & started The Eagle & The Wolves by Simon Scarrow. It's the 4th installment of the Eagles series & I've just finished ch9. It's very much living up to my expectations, with a bloody skirmish within the first few pages & picking up the tale of the two main characters, Macro & Cato, who are Centurians (Cato just got promoted from Optio in the last book).

No sign of Boudicca just yet, but I get the feelnig she may well appear out of nowhere - I'd like that a lot. :D

I have to say, if you're looking for a rip-roaring good series to get into that's full of action & excellent characters, I can heartily recommend the Eagles - even if you're not into historical or military fiction (I'd never read either before these ones), they're an excellent introduction to the genre. It's fascinating knowing that the plot is based on fact & although most of the characters are not actual historical figures, they are based on people of the time in those situations.

Can't wait to get cracking with the resto f it - I feel I can really get my teeth into this one!

Didn't get much reading done today, but I'm up to Ch16 now. It just keeps getting better & better. No sign of Boudicca still, so I think maybe she'll stay out of this one & maybe reappear in the next one.

I love the balance Scarrow has - not too much detail, but doesn't shy away from the harsh realities of war & the effects on people on both siddes. Fair enough, he's mainly focusing on the Roman side, but one of the characters (Cato) is particularly intelligent & sensitive, as well as incredibly astute when it comes to how politics work in a war situation, so we get to see things from the Brits' point of view occasionally too.

It's absolutely riveting!

Got a belated Xmas prezzie today - Troll Fell by Katherine Langrish. It's one I've been eyeing up for a while. Now added to my ever-growing list of books to be read!

Just finishing The Eagle & The Wolves by Simon Scarrow. Excellent read - review at some point tomorrow once I've had time to choose words good enough to describe it!

Starting Morality Play by Barry Unsworth tomorrow. It's a short book (only 188 pages) & is written entirely in the 1st person, so I don't know how I'm going to cope with it, but with it being short, I think I might get through it with my sanity prtty much intact. The plot looked pretty decent (I chose it as a swap via the Read it, Swap it site):

A novel about a group of travelling players touring England in 1390 in the years following the Black Death. Tired of presenting the usual mystery plays they decide to re-enact a murder that has recently taken place in the town they are visiting. This has unforeseen consequences as they are forced to confront the real story of death.

I thought it sounded intriguing. It was also shortlisted for the 1995 Booker Prize if that means anything to anyone!

About 1/4 of the way through morality Play & the whole 1st person thing kind of lends itself well to the story - it's almost like you've got the lead character there with you, sitting in front of a fire, relating his tale to you. Not much has actually happened so far, but I'm kind of getting into it.

Got another book through the post today via a swap on the Read it, Swap it site - The Devil in Gray by Graham Masterton - thought I'd be prepared in case it got chosen as February's Reading Circle as last time I looked it was looking like a toss-up between this & American Gods which I got for Xmas...

Just about done with Morality Play - a few more pages to go & I'll find out if I was right ni my conclusions. Even if I am, it doesn't detract from the enjoyment, as seeing it from the simpler point of view of the characters set in their own period has made it very interesting. I may well keep an eye out for more books by Unsworth.

I do remember trying to decide whether the playing (oh, good pun Andy) with the history of theatre was clever or contrived.

I've been swithering between the 2 as well & I think I'm now heading more towards the "clever" camp, although I started out on the side of "contrived". Really enjoying it - it's a complete break from the norm.

Starting The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler later tonight. I've never read any Jane Austen, so I don't know if that'll make a difference, but it looks rather interesting...

I'll post the review for Morality Play later on - probably tomorrow (I like to have a bit of a think about it after finishing a book - LOL!). Unexpectedly good read - rather impressed, despite it all being in the 1st person!

Kell let me know what you think of it because I was debating whether to get it or not. I have read Jane Austen and she was OK

Will do, Angel - looking forward to getting into it, as I've heard pretty good things. No over-the-top-great reviews, but good, strong, recommendations from folks who know my tastes.

Starting The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler later tonight. I've never read any Jane Austen, so I don't know if that'll make a difference, but it looks rather interesting...

Just bought this off of ebay, so will be interested to know what you think :wink:

Just had 2 more books arrive via the Read it, Swap it site (honestly, I'll have no books left to swap at this rate - LOL!): The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood & The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble.

The Robber Bride is registered on the Book Crossing site, so I've nipped along & registered that I've got it. That makes 2 "travelling" books that've made their way to me via RISI now (the other one is 24 Hours by Greg Iles, which is the one that got me to register over there myself.)

They both look rather good & are going to make choosing which books to read next from the list even more difficult than it already was! Still, mustn't complain - at least I've got plenty of good reading material to keep me going for some time yet!

I'm still waiting to hear whether or not another couple of swaps will be accepted too, so there may be even more on their way to me shortly!

Started The Jane Austen Book Club last night & got through a bit more today during lunch. It's a really easy read so far & rather enjoyable - a bit of light relief & entertaining, even to someone who's never read any Austen. That said, I did download 3 Austens today, so I may well read them yet...

Whizzing through JABC - it's a really easy, fun read. I feel I'm really getting to know the characters & like them all as friends. Really nice atmosphere to it. Very friendly book. :D

I now have so many books unread that I've had to divide my original list (back at the beginning of my log) into sections:

- On My Shelf

- Downloaded

- On Their Way (via swaps)

- For the Book Club Forum Reading Circle

- For the Posh Club Reading Group

Otherwise I'd have ended up all over the place - LOL! I gues I realy AM anal about these kinds of things!

About 2/3rds of the way through JABC now. I think I really will try some Austen myself. I printed off two of the downloaded books today, along with a couple of other books I've downloaded, so I've added them to my list too (I erally must stop doing that till I've read a few more off the list - it's getting crowded at home - LOL!). I always think it's nice when one book inspires you to read another...