Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MonkeyCatcher, I think I will. I didn't make the connection in my head - I've been lokoing at that one for a while - LOL!

Finished Broken last night - really enjoyed being back with the Pack again! Will be starting Undead & Unwed by Maryjanice Davidson at some point today...

Now reading the novelisation of The Wicker Man which is proving very interesting reading as it's already filling in a lot of gaps left by the film (which I loved). I'm getting to see the reasons behind Howie's way of thinking more than was shown on the screen & feeling a little more sympathetic towards his character. I'monly about 1/3rd of the way in, but it's good reading so far & very easy to get into - the writing is really drawing me in (one of the writers also wrote the screenplay).

Finished The Wicker Man (thoroughly enjoyed it too!), moved onto How to Kill Your Husband (& Other Handy household Hints) which had be cackling evilly throughout, & have now started Lolita - I've been meaning to read it for years & my copy (acquired via RISI) arrived today. :(

Finished The Wicker Man (thoroughly enjoyed it too!)

I think I have that upstairs somewhere....

have now started Lolita - I've been meaning to read it for years & my copy (acquired via RISI) arrived today.

Why do I see this book mentioned (and heavily discussed) everywhere? What's it about?

The basic premise is it's an older man with a much younger girl. It's been made into a movie (twice, I think) - I saw the one with Jeremy Irons in a few years back. It's generally regarded as a modern classic & I've been meaning to read it for years, but I've been seeing it around so much lately that I thought "what the hell? Now's as good a time as any!". I'm only a few chapters in & so far so good.

The synopsis on Amazon is incredibly brief:

Humbert Humbert is a middle-aged, fastidious college professor. He also likes little girls. And none more so than Lolita, who he'll do anything to possess. Is he in love or insane, a silver-tongued poet or a pervert, a tortured soul or a monster or is he all of these!

I read my dad's copy of Lolita when I was about 13 or 14. I was always aware of it, and that it was of a sexual nature and unsuitable for children. I took it off the shelf and read it over the course of a few days, hiding it whenever my parents were in!

Considering all the controversy surrounding it, I think I had hyped it up to much more graphic than I actually found it to be. It was a similar reaction to the one I had to Lady Chatterly's Lover!

I hope you enjoy it, Kell - I'd love to know more about what you think when you have finished.

Well, after getting slightly wary looks yesterday while reading How to Kill Your Husband, I got more funny looks today while reading Lolita. Apparently, round our way, people think it's a bit smutty*. I wonder how many of them have actually read it - LOL! I'm about a dozen chapters in & really enjoying it. It's amazing to me that someone can not only write so eloquently, but to do it in a language not their own (English is Nabokov's 2nd language, but you'd never know to read Lolita). It's rather more absorbing than the film was (much as I enjoyed that).

* One colleague mentioned it along the lines of "Isn't that right up there with Lady Chatterley's Lover?". Of course, now I'm going to have to read that too - LOL!

in that case, even more wow! I was gong by what it said in the aothor bio at the front of the book, which said 2nd, but also mentioned that his family had moved to London from Russia, then to Germany, before he left for America with his wife & son, so it certainly looks like he would have German under his belt too. What an amazing man! I only have school-girl French & a mostly-forgotten smattering of Turkish to my name - LOL!

I'm still reading Lolita (I'm taking my time with it) & have just finished Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation which was a funny, light read which has succeeded in making me even more paranoid about my typos on the forum! I'll also admit that, when faces with a badly punctuated notice, I feel compelled to correct it (oh, no! I'm a stickler!). On top of that, i noticed a couple of grammatical errors which I am prepared to overlook, seeing as it's about punctuation, rather than grammar (& since it made me feel all smart to notice them).

Reckon I'll finish Lolita tonight, so I'll be starting on Emma tomorrow - looking forward to it.