Kell's 2006 Reading Log - January to June

Kell

Thought I'd join in with the 2006 Reading Log thingie. I have my book blog already, but I thought it'd be nice to keep a brief record here too as I read them.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently about half-way through Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, which I got for Xmas from my Grom. It's a pretty hefty tome, but so far I'm really enjoying it & wishing I had more reading time available right now!

I thought I'd lug the old "to read" list over to here & keep everything in one place:

On My Shelf:

Margaret Atwood - The Robber Bride

David Baddiel- The Secret Purposes

Louis de Berniere - Captain Corelli's Mandolin

William Blain

I'm now about 2/3rds of the way through Labyrinth & really enjoying it. It's basically a Grail Quest type of tale but I have to say the writing is quite lovely - a really nice flow of words without being too wordy, if you get what I mean. Almost like walking a labyrinth in the reading - perhaps that's intentional (ooh, I must remember that when it comes to writing the review!) - with its winding story, taking you back & forwards across time between two women connected by the same secret...

Labyrinth will most probably get finished tonight, so the review will most likely get posted some time tomorrow once I've had a chance to compose my thoughts. I think we all already know this review will give it the thumbs up though (unless the endnig turns out to be severely disappointing, which I can't imagine it will). This is one book I've been wishing would last longer as I've been enjoying it so much!

Finished Labyrinth in the bath tonight & was mightily impressed with it. I'll do the review in the morning once I've had time to collect my thoughts & digest the whole thing (not that I've been chomping on the book or anything - LOL!).

In the meantime, I've started on The Bad Mother's Handbook by Kate long (from one Kate to another!) while I wait for Trace to arrive for the reading circle...

I'm thinking it's an 8/10 - pretty damned good. I'm a very harsh judge so getting 8/10 from me is a pretty big deal. I'll write the review later on today & post it...

Well, I'm enjoying The Bad Mother's Handbook so far, but I do occasionally get a little confused for a moment or two when it switches who's telling the story. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually. I am enjoying it though.

I'm getting more into the characters now in Bad Mother's Handbook. I'm little more than about 1/3rd of the way through it - i've just had the bath go cold on me while I was reading - LOL!

Feeling a little off colour today, so I'm off for an early soak in the bath with some lavendar oils & a nice cup of tea while I read some more. I reckon I'll be finished Handbook at some point tomorrow. Rather enjoying the interplay of relationships & the development between them all. Nicely written so far...

Finished The Bad Mother's Handbook last night, so a review will go up later on when I've had a chance to write it. :D Really enjoyed it - a nice study of the interplay between 3 generations of women in the same family.

Starting The Dark Behind the Curtain by Gillian Cross today as it's a short one & I think Trace might be in the package that Dale is collecting for me today. It looks to be a kid's chiller-type book with a theatrical slant, so I might find it interesting. I got it via a swap on the Read it Swap it site. We'll see how it goes...

New books arrived today:

Trace by Patricia Cornwell

Monday Mourning by Cathy Reichs

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

They've all been added to the list & I'll be starting on Trace tomorrow.

*rubs hands together in glee*

New books arrived today:

Trace by Patricia Cornwell

Monday Mourning by Cathy Reichs

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

They've all been added to the list & I'll be starting on Trace tomorrow.

*rubs hands together in glee*

I've not long finished Kathy Reichs Monday Mourning, I thought it was excellent. I've enjoyed all of her books to date.

Kathy Reichs, IMO, is truly outstanding, so much fact and info incorperated into a gripping story, everytime :D

I agree, I love how she goes into technical detail too, but I could see how some people could lose interest when she goes into great detail about something like carbon dating (a al Monday Mourning), but I love all that stuff as it's in my area of study/interest.

For years I have been truly fascinated by forensics (thank-you Ms Cornwell) and I love reading all about it. One day I hope to study it too Jake, I am so envious of you :D

Do you watch CSI?

ME TOO!

And

Yes love CSI!

btw, Kathy Reichs is really great in my opinion. Kell, if you can, put this book on hold and get them all in sequence, although it is still a story in its own right.

For years I have been truly fascinated by forensics (thank-you Ms Cornwell) and I love reading all about it. One day I hope to study it too Jake, I am so envious of you :D

Do you watch CSI?

Oooh yes I've seen every episode aired, I love it. However it's a lot less glam in RL, I mean you never seen Catherine Willows in a white jumpsuit do you??