Jodi Picoult

First Jodi Picoult I ever read was The Pact. Found it started off okay but got bogged down with the legal side of it all. Also found characters a bit insipid for me. Did finish it though.

Next I read My Sister's Keeper. Loved this one. Great ending! Also liked all of the characters in it. . . especially the dog!

Now want to read Plain Truth. Is that one good?

Also have Vanishing Acts and Perfect Match tbr.

yeah...you might want to put Vanishing Acts at the bottom;)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First Jodi Picoult I ever read was The Pact. Found it started off okay but got bogged down with the legal side of it all. Also found characters a bit insipid for me. Did finish it though.

Next I read My Sister's Keeper. Loved this one. Great ending! Also liked all of the characters in it. . . especially the dog!

Now want to read Plain Truth. Is that one good?

Also have Vanishing Acts and Perfect Match tbr.

I've only read MKS and Plain Truth and I preferred Plain Truth although loved MSK

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished 'Keeping Faith', I did enjoy it but I feel like I should have read one of her other books first. I found 'Keeping Faith' very interesting, raised a lot of questions, a really good read but a bit intense.:D

• 2 months later...
I adored this book! It was my first taste of Jodi Picoult and now I can't get enough...I've got a couple on my pile at the moment - any reccomendations for the best ones?

This is the book I am reading at the moment - about half way through - am enjoying it but having read a few of JPs now dare I say it's predictable?:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished Second Glance...anyone read this? The book was pretty good....mainly a love and ghost story rolled into one...but also goes into eugenics, which I found fascinating and quite disturbing. Also, I think this book was a bit too long. At least 75 pages too long.

for those wondering:

Eugenics-is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through various forms of intervention. The goals of various groups advocating eugenics have included the creation of healthier, more intelligent people, to save society's resources, and lessen human suffering, as well as racially based goals or desires to breed for other specific qualities, such as fighting abilities.

Earlier proposed means of achieving these goals focused on selective breeding, while modern ones focus on prenatal testing and screening, genetic counseling, birth control, in vitro fertilization, and genetic engineering. Opponents argue that eugenics is immoral and is based on, or is itself, pseudoscience. Historically, eugenics has been used as a justification for coercive state-sponsored discrimination and human rights violations, such as forced sterilization of persons who appear to have - or are claimed to have - genetic defects, the killing of the institutionalized and, in some cases, outright genocide of races perceived as inferior or undesireable.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, new to the forum. I have read many Jodi Picoult and "Nineteen Minutes" is the most recent.

For those who read it, my questions are....

1)

why was it not brought to the attention of the court and parents of the abuse from the older brother that died in a car accident?

2)

did you feel the emotional abuse the girl felt from her boyfriend was enough for her to turn the gun on him when her friend was killing her friends?

3)

did you buy the defence of the battered wife syndrom given the premedatative acts?

i look forward to hearing from you.

peace

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I have read and enjoyed (in order of preference) My Sisters Keeper, Plain Truth, The Pact and Mercy.

I read Mercy a couple of weeks ago and am sorry to say I was disappointed. Mercy is not Picoults strongest book and being Scottish myself I was bemused at the Scottish characters/ history references(ahem!).

I think I have almost every other book she has had published on mount TBR with the exception of Nineteen Minutes - which would be the one I really want to read now!

I have read and enjoyed (in order of preference) My Sisters Keeper, Plain Truth, The Pact and Mercy.

I read Mercy a couple of weeks ago and am sorry to say I was disappointed. Mercy is not Picoults strongest book and being Scottish myself I was bemused at the Scottish characters/ history references(ahem!).

I think I have almost every other book she has had published on mount TBR with the exception of Nineteen Minutes - which would be the one I really want to read now!

I enjoyed that book and I let my mother read it

• 2 weeks later...

I have read My Sister's Keeper, Vanishing Acts, and Plain Truth. And I actually like them in that order. My Sister's Keeper is one of my favorite books of all time. The ending is fantastic because

the author makes us do just what the parents have done all along....we view Anna's life as permanent and her sister's life as fragile. The ending reminds us that we are all really here just day to day.

I lent that book to a friend at work, who passed away about two weeks ago. It was interesting to me that we had just discussed life and death in relation to this book, and now she is gone.-sorry off subject.

The other two books were fine easy reads but not as great as My Sister's Keeper.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved MSK and also Plain Truth. Have a few others on my shelf but can't get a chance to read them, due to joining bookrings/rays via bookcrossing. Think I read both of them via there though.