New author --- John Twelve Hawks

Jeff

I just read his new book The Traveler and really enjoyed it.

A must read for any of you Sci-Fi conspiracy theory book lovers.

Now I must go to sleep. Stayed up till 3:30 am to finish it last night and had to work today.

:D why do I do that to myself?

• 1 month later...

I recently got hold of The Traveller, so it's going to be read very soon I hope. Has anyone else read it/heard of it apart from Jeff?

I fancied it after seeing it on Read It Swap It, it looks pretty good, however I have heard alot of negative comments on it, which has put me off buying it, though I would if I saw it in a charity shop going cheaply.

The fae angle appealed to me :wink:

Well, tell you what, when I've read it, it'll be up on my sale or swap list, so all you have to do is keep your eyes pealed there for it. :D

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I bought this novel under the so-obvious-it's-hardly-an-assumption assumption that John Twelve Hawks was a pseudonym for another "popular" "author"; namely Dan Brown. I was under the impression that, since they share the same agent and Brown's next novel is taking so long to write, given his admission that it takes two years for him to write a novel, that Brown wrote The Traveller between Langdon books. Best to keep Brown writing the conspiracy schlock and have his other name reserved for laughable sci-fi.

I read so much of the book, about eighty pages, and it was appalling. The writing was terribly bland and the characters were so cardboard they'd turn to mush if they stepped out into a rainshower. Even the action, which I'd expect a book of this type to excel in, was dull. I'm not a big fan of sci-fi but even I can tell when the popular cliches are being brought out.

I'm on page 172 and I really like it, OK not the best book I've ever read but like the idea and think that the idea is interesting, characters aren't developed yet but don't think they're wooden. May change my mind but worth a read. Think I am often a plot led reader rather than a character one so not the best person to ask!

Why did you think it was obvious that it was Dan Brown apart from the agent bit? Although possibly the style is similar.

Guest Anonymous
Why did you think it was obvious that it was Dan Brown apart from the agent bit? Although possibly the style is similar.

Dan Brown has stated it takes him two years to "write" a novel. It's almost four years since The Da Vinci Code blighted the shelves and there's been nothing in his name. Because of the storm surrounding his last novel, he was probably told to do something a little different and the product was The Traveller. If I'm right, it has the added bonus - for Random House that is - that people who swore never to buy another Brown book would by this given that it's under a pseudonym; they wouldn't know they were purchasing Brown product.

The writing is just as minging as The Da Vinci Code. Any history our characters may have is told in expository paragraphs that bisect the narrative at awkward places. It's a poor form of characterisation, given that ideally we should learn about our characters from their actions and not by blatent summary.

I also wonder what Arsenal fans would think given that the novelist makes them out to be complete hooligans attacking, of all people, the innocent Chelsea fans.

Perhaps I just found the storyline silly - all this talk of people walking about with swords, easily getting through airports, and all that jazz - but the aforementioned things didn't serve to help the read.