Patricia Cornwell - Trace

Reading Cirlce book for Jan / Feb:

Trace by Patricia Cornwell

Against her own judgement and the advice of Benton Wesley and her niece, Lucy, Scarpetta agrees to return to Virginia as a consultant pathologist on a case involving the death of a fourteen-year-old girl. Accompanied by Pete Marino she finds the once familiar territory of her morgue and her department much changed, and the new Chief Medical Examiner treats her with disdain despite the obvious fact that he is in desperate need of her expertise. But professional as ever, she re-examines the evidence and proves the girl was murdered. She also finds trace evidence which matches that found on an accident victim and at the scene where one of Lucy's operatives was attacked. It is not only a forensic puzzle, but opens up the probability that someone is after those closest to Scarpetta.

I believe it's

I've read all her books to date and there is a lot of history between the characters in the Scarpetta novels. I can't remember how much she goes back to 'refresh' reader's memories in Trace. Jack the Ripper was based on fact so yes totally different from her usual books.

I definitely prefer her earlier Scarpetta books, I wasn't too keen on Trace and was even less keen on Predator her latest offering.

I definitely prefer her earlier Scarpetta books, I wasn't too keen on Trace and was even less keen on Predator her latest offering.

:D Now she tells us! lol

Make sure you keep an eye on this post.. as we read and comment, you can join in. :Tantrum:

:Tantrum: Now she tells us! lol

Make sure you keep an eye on this post.. as we read and comment, you can join in. :jump:

Well I did list Predator under the most disappointing book category lol :D

I'm a huge fan her PC's but without giving too much away I wish she'd left Scarpetta where she was. For anyone who hasn't read the books in sequence I think it would be quite difficult to get a handle on the main characters, as I mentioned earlier, they all have a lengthy history (from her first Scarpetta novel in fact).

Hey you might even end up loving the book :)

You can help us if we get stuck with the characters then. :Tantrum:

Sure, I'll do my best...there's about 12 books featuring Scarpetta & co before Trace :D. It really is worth reading them in sequence, I got totally hooked from the start. I may even start reading them again from the beginning myself one of these days!

LOL I just realised that I have already read Trace, thought I was voting on her latest book ~ so many book titles floating around my head at the moment :D

But I'm more than happy to reread it, as I'm due to pick up her latest one from my library this week :wink:

I'm 3 chapters in & here are my impressions as they manifested in my brain:

Ch1: WHat? It's all written in present tense? Arrrgghhhh! I hate that! ANd an entire chapter about the demolition of a building? Hmmm.

Ch2: Hmmm. Necrocosmotology. And does she have to write Edgar Allan Pogue's entire name every time he's mentioned???

Ch3: Office politics. I feel I'm missing out on a huge lot of back-history here that was probably in previous books. Interest finally starting to kick in though - I was contemplating not going any further after Edgar Allan Pogue...

I'll persevere & see how it develops. The present tense is still annoying me though.

I'm 3 chapters in & here are my impressions as they manifested in my brain:

Ch1: WHat? It's all written in present tense? Arrrgghhhh! I hate that! ANd an entire chapter about the demolition of a building? Hmmm.

Ch2: Hmmm. Necrocosmotology. And does she have to write Edgar Allan Pogue's entire name every time he's mentioned???

Ch3: Office politics. I feel I'm missing out on a huge lot of back-history here that was probably in previous books. Interest finally starting to kick in though - I was contemplating not going any further after Edgar Allan Pogue...

I'll persevere & see how it develops. The present tense is still annoying me though.

The present tense is something you have to get used to the in the Scarpetta books. Re office politics, yes there is a massive back history, right back to the first book in fact. I would recommend reading them in sequence to be honest e.g. Lucy was just a young child in the first book and there's a lot of history surrounding her character.

Scarpetta books make more sense being read in order, if 'Trace' is your first then it prob won't make a good impression, I think its the worst of her books and had trouble finishing it, it drove me mad with boredom most of the time.

Apologies to those reading it, but I felt the same.

There's no harm is reading 'Trace' first, its just a shame she's changed so much.

I will say this, that if you don't enjoy the book, please try her earlier ones they are brilliant, its not that 'Trace' is total rubbish, its just that compared to her earlier stuff is it a letdown, she 'waffles' a bit more, almost as if she is trying to fill the pages up.

I am still going to reread it so I can discuss the book with you guys, though I'll probably skim through it rather than read every page :wink:

LOL - don't fret, Mau - it's picking up, really it is. It's just the present tense threw me a bit is all & not knowing all the back history means I'll be meeting the characters for the 1st time, but perhaps someone who's read past books could give a brief rundown of recurring characters?

Kay Scarpetta is the Chief Medical Examiner in Virginia. She is located in Richmond and works closely together with police officer Pete Marino and FBI profiler Benton Wesley. Her niece Lucy is a computer whiz kid and often helps with computer related problems

The above is in brief. If interested take a look at

http://www.246.dk/cornwell.html

Thanks for that, Mau. I'm now wondering about the relationship between Lucy, Henri & Rudy as there seems to be some tension there between L&R. (I've just finished ch10). It's certainly interesting me with the interplay between the characters as it's obvious they've known each other for a long time, while I feel a bit like an interloper at the moment, so I'll certainly be havnig a look at that site, Mau.

My fave character so far is definitely Marino - he sems to have a bit of bite to him. :D

I'm sorry - it's beaten me. I can't read any more. The present tense is hard enough to deal with, the lack of knowledge of backhistory doesn't help,but the constant repetition is doing my nut! I hate to be beaten my any book, but I've read 14 chapters now & I've lost the battle.

I feel completely horrid now - I hate giving up on any book. Hell, I've finished some bl**dy bad ones in my time & this one, I think, would be good if I could get past the things that are annoying me because I could already see the basics of the story unfolding.

Perhaps I'll come backto it some day if I ever get round to reading the others first.

• 2 weeks later...

And does she have to write Edgar Allan Pogue's entire name every time he's mentioned???

To tell you the truth, every time I read his full name, my dislike of this person intensifies. Perhaps that's the aim!! The story so far is O.K.,but much slower than usual, I think.

However I am quite disappointed re how the characters have changed. Pete Marino - I loved him in earlier novels - has been given "An Extreme Make-Over", and I am left with my mouth hanging open! Even Scarpetta and Lucy are different - and not more likeable either. I feel let down, as they were "better" characters in the previous novels.