The Infinite Wisdom of Harriet Rose by Diana Janney

Michelle

Harriet Rose, like any other teenager, is naive, overconfident and has always felt she has something important to say. However, unlike most of her peers, her hero is Marcus Aurelius, in imitation of whom she has been composing philosophical reflections on life for some time. When Harriet's father dies, the urge to write these meditations is greater than ever. Then, on her fourteenth birthday, she receives a unique gift. Her doting mother and grandmother have had her by-now-substantial collection of meditations published. Having appointed themselves roles -- Mother: publicist; Nana: sales rep; Harriet: esteemed author -- they vow to get the book into the hands of a wide readership. Once this formidable team gets into gear, there's no holding back, and Harriet is hurled into a lifestyle that not even she, in all her infinite wisdom, could have been prepared for. Bookshop orders soon stack up, and Harriet is plunged into a whirlwind of launch parties, newspaper coverage and television appearances. But is all this attention exactly what she thinks? And, more importantly, can her happiness -- or her naivete - last?

In all honesty, I'm still not sure what I feel about this book. When I started it, I actually didn't like Harriet.. her being 'naive and overconfident' came across to me as being rather arrogant, a trait that was actively encouraged by her family.

However, as the story evolved, I began to change that opinion - I would imagine that Harriet is like most other 14 year old girls, it's just that she's more interested in philosophers, writing and her family, rather than boys, parties and clothes! You also realise what a loving relationship she has with her mother and nan, as they all try to come to terms with her father's death.

There's also an interesting perception of the world of publishing.. do you really need experienced agents and publishers behind you, or rather a pushy sales person, and lots of lucky publicity?!

All in all, this is an enjoyable, fun read - the humour will make you smile, but is subtle; as is Harriet's slowly developing romance. I think most people would find something to enjoy within it.

I read this a few months back and was disappointed at the portrayal of how quickly publication happens. Sure, it was self-publishing in this instance but I've seen too many horror stories happen in the world of self & vanity to think anything good could come of it.

The MC seemed a bit stuck-up. The book was written well, but if Harriet was a real person I don't think I would have liked her. Apparently it's based on Janney's real-life experiences with self-publishing, so what do I know? It's not a route I'd ever be willing to take, though.