#61 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Reading now?:Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

Has anyone read any of Lydia Davies' short stories? They introduced me to the genre, and made me realise how the most mundane everyday tasks can be transformed through writing. I'd recommend her work, she has a gift of making you see things differently.

I've also recently bought a collection of Vladimir Nabokov's short stories. I loved his novel Lolita, so decided to read one of his short stories, Signs and Symbols and was hooked - it's also available online for free! Here's a list of some of his short stories:

http://www.publisher...rt-stories.html

I'm really starting to get into short stories now, I've found some of them make you think more than a lot of novels I've read.

Edited by Angury, 22 March 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#62 dtrpath27

dtrpath27

Addicted!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:14 AM

I am as well.  I really love how the author has to make every word count and how I can become just as attached to the characters as I can in a full-length novel.

I've never read the author you mentioned, but I just looked her up in the Kindle store, and she looks quite interesting.  I'll have to check her out.

Edited by dtrpath27, 22 March 2014 - 01:17 AM.

#63 emelee

emelee

Bug

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
  • Reading now?:Bo Balderson
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Edgar Allan Poe is an idol of mine when it comes to short stories. 

Hjalmar Söderberg's The fur coat is such a classic, I absolutely love love love it. 

Guy De Maupassant also have some great stories.

And of course also Nikolai Gogol's The overcoat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users