Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale

Michelle

I liked the sound of it, but my reading has slowed down due to having to read so much for A Level that I didn't buy it.

I've a feeling it's one of those books that'll start appearing in charity shops soon so I'll look out for it there.

It's a Richard and Judy book, isn't it? Thanks for the review. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just read this and really enjoyed it. In fact, I couldn't put it down. I loved the way each character's individual story was revealed until, eventually, the whole thing came together. I too will be reading more by this author in the future.:readingtwo:

• 3 years later...

Just finished this one and I liked the way it was written being carried along with how it started with her death and then almost worked backwards so to speak. Each chapter begins with a description of one of her paintings from the exhibition, which gives us an incite to what the chapter will reveal and each involves a different member of the family.

Although I have to say I was a bit disappointed that it came to such an abrupt end! Still recommend though.

Great review Michelle :)

I have a copy of this too, I hope to get around to it one day, it sounds an interesting book. :)

• 1 month later...

I got a few chapters into this a while ago and just stopped reading it (I can't remember why!) I remember thinking it was pretty slow paced.

I'll have to give it another go since so many of you liked it, maybe I just missed something about it the first time!

• 11 months later...

I was underwhelmed by this one, I'm afraid. Some years ago, I read a book called The Serpentine Cave by Jill Paton Walsh, which is set in the same area, with definitely some overlaps in storyline (an artist mother's relationship with her children explored after her death). Throughout reading Notes from an Exhibition, I just remember having flashbacks to The Serpentine Cave, and wanting to re-read that, instead... For people who enjoyed Notes, though, I have heard that Patrick Gale's most recent novel, A Perfectly Good Man revisits the area and features some characters in common, although it is not a sequel per se.

I gave up on this one about a third of the way through. I have read another novel by Gale and enjoyed it, but this one just didn't hold my attention, despite the fact I was on holiday in Penzance at the time just a couple of streets away from where the house where the book was set.

Edited by chesilbeach