Ciao!

ValenCina

Hello everyone,

my name is Valentina, I'm 24 and I am from Torino, Italy. I study foreign languages at university - English and Chinese (that's where the nickname comes from! :lol:). My favourite books are classics and my favourite authors are Italo Calvino, Vladimir Nabokov and Mo Yan.

I have been a member of a book club with my friends for a 3 years now. We are loving it so much that we have founded two other parallel book clubs: one for women only and one for young people (under 30). We all come from very different backgrounds and I love how this allows me to consider new perspectives on the books we read and discuss. I'm reading Fictions by Borges at the moment, for my women's book club.

I am looking forward to chatting with you! I'm open to recommendations and I would especially like to know if you enjoy reading any Italian author!

Chat soon,

ValenCina

Hello and welcome ValenCina- this is a really great place to talk about all things books- one of my favorite books of all time is I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb- it's absolutely fantastic!!!

I am looking forward to chatting with you! I'm open to recommendations and I would especially like to know if you enjoy reading any Italian author!

Hello and welcome.

I don't think I've read anything by Italian writers - can you recommend any?

Hope you enjoy chatting with us.

JudyB

Thank you all for welcoming me!! I am enjoying my time on the forum already, too bad over the last couple of days I have spent more time online than actually reading... :lol:

@nicnic: the cat in my avatar is my own. He is chartreux mixed with russian blue, he is 12 now and still a much lively big guy!

@JudyB: my favourite Italian author ever is Italo Calvino, although I haven't read all of his books. As I put in my profile, my favourite books by Calvino are those in the trilogy of Our ancestors: The Cloven Viscount, Baron in The Trees and The Invisible Knight. I would recommend any one of them, but Baron in the Trees is my absolute favourite. :lol:

Ciao Valentina

I'm new to the book club today. I saw your thread as I seem to have a magnetic attraction towards anything Italian.

I have read a few things by Italian authors (in translation that is as my Italian is not great). I like Umberto Eco...particularly The Name of the Rose and I also enjoyed another writer whose name I have forgotten. Two of his books that I remember most are called (in English) 'The Sea' and 'Silk'.

I don't know what to recommend to you....but the most enjoyable book I've read recently is the Kite Runner. I also enjoyed 'The Uncommon Reader, by Alan Bennett, but you may need to be English to 'get' this.