Vinegar Hill by Manette Ansay

Weave

Title of Book: Vinegar Hill

Name of Author: Manette Ansay

Paperback: 352 pages

Publisher: Headline Review (26 Jul 2007)

ISBN-10: 0755335481

ISBN-13: 978-0755335480

41UwHW8EuxL_SS500_.jpg

Synopsis:

This is the unforgettable story of a mother's struggle to find the courage to save her children from cruelty and unhappiness. When Ellen Grier's husband loses his job, she has little choice but to agree to his suggestion that they and their children move in with his parents on Vinegar Hill. Their new home is more stifling than she feared - a loveless place where dark secrets lurk behind a facade of false piety, and calculated cruelty is routine. Ellen's spirit is close to crushed: how is she to protect her children from their grandparents' bitterness and disapproval? Will her love for little Amy and Bert give her the strength to find a way for them to escape?

'Vinegar Hill' tells the story of Ellen Grier and her family, husband, James and her two children, Amy and Bert who find themselves moving in with James's parents, Mary Margaret and Fritz after James loses his job, then eventually their home. From the first page of 'Vinegar Hill' you can actually feel how opressed Ellen feels, surrounded by criticism at every turn, Ellen begins to feel more and more trapped, she finds herself falling out of love with James, it seems that now James is back in the family bosom, Ellen sees how much he is controlled by his family.

'Vinegar Hill' is a story about secrets, the secrets surrounding Mary Margaret and Fritz, they give off the image of a perfect family, regularly going to church, seeing consult from the imitidating Father Bork.

'Vinegar Hill' is a easy read, a well written story which pulls you in from page one, I found myself at various parts shaking my head at the way Fritz treated James, the way Mary Margaret treated Ellen, by the end of the book I so wanted Ellen to leave that house, the own downside was the abruptness of the ending, I felt there could have been more.

Highly recommended.

Rating: 9/10 (for the abruptness of the ending)