Any Way You Want Me by Lucy Diamond

On paper, Sadie's got it all - the partner, the children, the house. But in real life, that doesn't feel quite enough. Sadie can't help harking back to the time when she was a career woman by day and a party animal by night. And what happened to feeling like a sex kitten, anyway? The only sleepless nights she's getting now are due to the baby. Maybe a little reinvention is the answer...

At the start of this book, I was expecting pretty standard 'chick lit', but by the end it had became much more, and I was finding it hard to put it down.

Most mums with young children will be able to identify with parts of Sadie's character, and will find themselves nodding, laughing, and possibly even crying. Although I didn't particularly agree with some of her actions, I could at least understand where she was coming from, and what pushed her.

I also enjoyed her relationships with her sisters and friends, which brought us more characters to identify with.

With some unexpected twists, and a believable ending, Lucy Diamond is a fun, sexy author, and I'm looking forward to her next offering.

That's interesting to read Karen.. I think alot with this sort of fiction hinges on how you relate to the character, and maybe I'm just at a point in my life where I can? As I said, I don't agree with what she did, and it's not something I would do in any circumstance.. but I do know that other people do, and I could understand where she was coming from.

Plus for me, the stuff about applying for the job etc was just extra.. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed something based more on that. For me, it was about the relationships.

• 2 weeks later...

I just didn't identify with Sadie - well, of course, I'm not a mother, but still...I didn't understand her motivation for doing what she did. She seemed so childlike and selfish in parts.

But it was a quick read.

I've known plenty of young mothers who wouldn't dream of doing what she did. Some would, some wouldn't, but even being a mother doesn't mean a reader would identify with Sadie or condone what she did.

There are other books about adultery where the MC was more sympathetic (IMO) - Anna Karenina for one. And the strange thing is, she was written by a man. Weird.

I think you're missing my point.. I keep saying that I don't agree with what she did, and I also don't condone it. I'm simply saying that I understood how she was feeling.. how life can change when you're busy with small children, etc. Every individual would deal with those feeling differently.. and Sadie took the path that she did. And as you say, some people would have an affair.

Besides, do you need to actually 'like' the main character to enjoy a book? There are often characters whom I wouldn't choose for a friend, nor do I agree with their actions.. but I still enjoy the book.

True. I mean, I can read books about serial killers - to understand is not to condone after all. Then again, when I talk about a 'sympathetic' character I mean one where their motivation is clear. Although in this book that might have been clear from Sadie's domestic life, it just didn't do much for me. *shrug* Each to his own. That's the nature of the book world. Maybe I thought Sadie was too selfish for me to like her, even if I understood her dissatisfaction. But it's been a while since I read it, so I can't quite remember why her story didn't ring true for me, I just remember coming away from it thinking, "Well it was fun, a quick read, but...next!"

ETA: I just checked my copy and it was the event which occurred in chapter seventeen that I felt let me down. It wrapped things up too neatly. Something was in the way and then it...wasn't.

(I have to be careful how I phrase it as I'm not sure how to do the spoiler tags).

It's really interesting (if a bit scary) to read different people's opinions of your book...I suppose I should be grateful that it's sparked a debate!

I take your point about Sadie being selfish, Prospero, but I wanted to write about someone who was so carried away with their passion that they behaved badly as a result. You are not necessarily meant to like her for it.

Hope it hasn't put you off reading next one anyway - I promise the main character in that one is DEFINITELY more sympathetic than Sadie! :blush:

(I have to be careful how I phrase it as I'm not sure how to do the spoiler tags).

http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=bcf#faq_a7

ETA: I just checked my copy and it was the event which occurred in chapter seventeen that I felt let me down. It wrapped things up too neatly. Something was in the way and then it...wasn't.

Without that event, it would have been a different book. But, it happens to so many people, that to me it was perfectly believable.

• 1 year later...

I like what you have said about this book Michelle. I am currently reading Over You at the moment which I think is excellent so far. The book is one I cannot put down because I always want to see what twist will unfold next so I will definitely be looking out for this book! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finished this and loved it - a lot more than I expected to. I'd already read Over You which I had quite enjoyed, but hadn't been bowled over by, but AWYWM was great. The humour seemed a lot sharper in it and the plot was more interesting.

I know a lot of people found the subject matter too controversial but I thought Lucy handled it really well. I was watching a character I liked, do something I didn't approve of, and it was almost like watching a car crash waiting to happen. I thought the story was utterly compelling and it was hard to put down, meaning I switched the light off later and later each night I read it. I'm looking forward to getting more sleep now I've finished it lol.

A couple of things I didn't like:

The way Mark didn't get his come-uppance. I really wanted Alex to go round and give him a black eye. Also the ending was slightly too hopeful for my liking. Yes it was left open-ended, but I would have preferred it to be a tad more ambiguous. That last line just seemed too upbeat considering all that happened.

I will definitely be reading more by this author.

Edited by ~Andrea~

• 9 months later...

Just finsihed reading this one, and agree with a lot of what was said. I so wanted Mark to be 'dealt' with in a different way, but not sure how.

It was an easy read, and a bit more 'sexy' than I expected it to be. I can totally understand where Sadie was at in her life and understand how she ending up doing what she did, but didn't totally agree with the fact that she did it!.

• 7 years later...

Just read another Lucy Diamond as my first read of 2018. Nice cosy read of café and Cornwall and nice characters. One to curl up on the sofa with blanket and a cuppa and think if summer.

The Beach Cafe

I've also just finished a Lucy Diamond book - The House of New Beginnings.  All of her books I've read so far have been more about friendship and finding a better life than the romance elements, although they are definitely marketed in the romantic comedy area.  I haven't come across Any Way You Want Me yet, but it does sound again like it divides opinions!