Featured Author - Tess Gerritsen

Hi Michelle,

I think that although the books are best read in order, any one of the books can probably be picked up by itself and still be enjoyable. Jane Rizzoli, the primary character, has changed quite a bit through the series, though, and if you want to see the transitions she's made, it's best to start with THE SURGEON, where she's first introduced. In the first book, she will probably not seem very likable. In truth, she's .. well, a BITCH is the best word for her. But as the series continues, and she finds true love and becomes pregnant, and then a mom, you see her grow happier and become more fulfilled and become far more likable.

I didn't intend for this to be a series. In truth, Jane was supposed to die in THE SURGEON, and I had her death scene all plotted out. But then when I reached the climactic scene where she was supposed to die, she did something unexpected. She fought back... and she survived. She became a real person to me, and refused to surrrender, and that's the characteristic that's defined her for me. She's a survivor, and a fighter, and she deserved to live. And so she did.

Which is how the series was born.

That's cleared something up for me as in The Surgeon, I saw Rizzoli as more of a supporting character - I loved the bloke who was the main part in that.

Tess, what do you feel about the growing trend of 'celebrity writers'?

(By that I mean people who are famous for something else then get book deals and write fiction rather than writers who become celebrities)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Tess - Nice to read you here. :blush:

Where do you write? do you have an office or a room at home?

I have heard of authors working to a number of words per day - do you have a target amount or write as the mood takes you?

Thanks Kx

Kx, I write in my home office. It's a great space, with windows overlooking the ocean. From my desk I can watch sea birds and occasionally even spot dolphins and bald eagles. Very distracting, but I love the view.

I try to write about 4 pages a day, and I work in long hand (I've never been able to compose fiction on a keyboard for some weird reason). And I certainly don't wait until the mood strikes me, otherwise I'd never get my books done in time. I just sit down and force myself to get started. And eventually, the story pulls me in.

Hi Tess. I am yet to read your books, but I would like to know, do you ever find yourself unable to write through lack of motivation, and if so, how do you get yourself motivated?

ice cream, that's a great question - and something that every writer must face. I often find myself wanting to do ANYTHING else but write. I'm so easily distracted by the weather or the garden or the latest news headlines, and it's so easy to let days slip by without writing a word. What keeps me motivated is the deadline on my calendar. So I've learned to force myself to work, even when I don't feel like it.

Often, if I'm having trouble, it's because my story is flawed. That's what writer's block is all about -- my subconscious telling me I need to go back and figure out how to make the story work better. I've learned to stop and think for awhile. I'll lie on my couch or go for a drive, anything to give myself time to ponder where the story went off the rails -- and how to get it back on.

Hi Tess!

Not a question really, but more of a comment and a thank you.

Last summer I had some health problems and was laid up recovering for a couple of months. I was bored stiff, unable to do much and someone gave me a copy of The Mephisto Club to read. I don't do crime thrillers really, but I read it anyway.

Blimey! I'm hooked! I love the way you write, I adore the Rizzoli/Isles series.

So, thank you for entertaining me during my recuperation.

And a question - What sort of pen do you use? I notice you write longhand rather than type. I prefer to type as I can read it that way! But when I do write anything longhand I prefer a fountain pen.

What's your writing implement of choice?

Hi Tess!

Not a question really, but more of a comment and a thank you.

Last summer I had some health problems and was laid up recovering for a couple of months. I was bored stiff, unable to do much and someone gave me a copy of The Mephisto Club to read. I don't do crime thrillers really, but I read it anyway.

Blimey! I'm hooked! I love the way you write, I adore the Rizzoli/Isles series.

So, thank you for entertaining me during my recuperation.

And a question - What sort of pen do you use? I notice you write longhand rather than type. I prefer to type as I can read it that way! But when I do write anything longhand I prefer a fountain pen.

What's your writing implement of choice?

Isidro,

so glad you're enjoying the Rizzoli/Isles series!

As for what kind of pen I use, I want something that writes effortlessly, without leaking. So lately I"ve been using gel ink retractable pens manufactured by Pilot. The ink runs out pretty quick, unfortunately, so I"ve gone through several packages already!

Tess, you should let them know.. they can put 'As used by Tess Gerritsen' on the packet, and you can get a free supply! :)

What are the pros and cons for you writing a series? Do you prefer it to the stand alone books?

Tess, you should let them know.. they can put 'As used by Tess Gerritsen' on the packet, and you can get a free supply! :hissyfit:

What are the pros and cons for you writing a series? Do you prefer it to the stand alone books?

Absolutely! Tell Pilot!

Paper - loose sheets? Lined? Plain? Notebook? Hardback? Softcover?

Tell us more about this writing with a pen malarkey? :)

Just got the Bone Garden from my local library so I can take it on holiday and be antisocial with my nose in a good book!

Tess, you should let them know.. they can put 'As used by Tess Gerritsen' on the packet, and you can get a free supply! :)

The pros: you already know the characters, so you can pick right up where you left off with them. Your universe has been established, you don't have to spend a lot of creating back-story, and you can launch right into the newest plot.

The cons: characters can become stale after five or six books unless you keep their lives interesting. That's where mystery series seem to fail -- when the characters become static and don't change. So the trick is to keep them evolving!

Hi Tess, thanks for being here.

I love your books btw.

Do you remember your character's characteristics by heart, or do you have to refer (for example general appearance, likes/dislikes etc)?

For my major characters (e.g. Jane and Maura) I pretty much remember everything about them, except maybe their ages, which keep changing as the series progresses. But for minor characters, I sometimes forget things like age,and often have to go back into my earlier books to confirm those details.

I think the most important aspects of a character's personality should be memorable -- and if they aren't, then I didn't do a good job of creating that character.

Absolutely! Tell Pilot!

Paper - loose sheets? Lined? Plain? Notebook? Hardback? Softcover?

Tell us more about this writing with a pen malarkey? :)

Just got the Bone Garden from my local library so I can take it on holiday and be antisocial with my nose in a good book!

Loose sheets, Unlined. I like being able to scrawl all over the page, even sideways. The danger comes if a breeze blows through the room and scatters things!

Hi Tess,

I finished The Surgeon last night (at 1.50am!) I really enjoyed it!

My first try of the crime/medical thriller genre and I will definitely be back for more.

I am also hooked on your website - there is so much to read, your obviously put a lot of effort and research in to it. I love the creepy biological facts, think you have uncovered a different side to me!

Kx

Finished The surgeon this afternoon, what a great start to a series and with the taster of The Apprentice at the back I'm itching to read that too!

When developing a main character like Rizzoli or Isles do you base the characteristics on people you know?

Hello Tess,

Firstly, thank you for being here. I've read quite a few of your books now and enjoyed them thoroughly. I just wanted to know which of your characters you prefer writing, Rizolli or Isles?

Lily,

I find Jane a little more fun to write because she's so different from me -- and because she says such blunt things, without caring whether people get mad at her or not. It's a pleasure to "get into" her head. Maura's a lot more serious and not nearly as humorous, and a little gloomy. But she's also incredibly intelligent and cultured, so when Jane gets tiresome to write, it's a relief to switch heads!

Hi Tess,

I finished The Surgeon last night (at 1.50am!) I really enjoyed it!

My first try of the crime/medical thriller genre and I will definitely be back for more.

I am also hooked on your website - there is so much to read, your obviously put a lot of effort and research in to it. I love the creepy biological facts, think you have uncovered a different side to me!

Kx

I'm so glad you enjoyed The Surgeon! Hope you enjoy the rest of the series.

This has been so wonderful, Tess!

I'm enjoying this so much! Thank you.

I love the story of Jane. Do you find your characters often do that?

My characters always surprise me. From the start, I didn't know that Jane would be a continuing character. Then she managed to take over, get married, and get pregnant. I admit, when the pregnancy first entered the picture, I wasn't sure if she'd have the baby or even be able to carry it to term. I wasn't sure how I would be able to write about a pregnant detective. (I'm not sure how many pregnant detectives there've been in the world of crime novels!) So every development in her life has been unplanned and surprising for me.

Finished The surgeon this afternoon, what a great start to a series and with the taster of The Apprentice at the back I'm itching to read that too!

When developing a main character like Rizzoli or Isles do you base the characteristics on people you know?

Mad Cow, Jane is very much like every woman cop I"ve ever met. They all seem to be tough and they're used to fighting for their rights. I don't know if the job makes them that way, or if a certainly personality goes into police work, but after a few years on the job, they all seem to have those same personality traits.

Jane is, quite simply, the exact opposite of who I am!

In case I miss you going, I'll say goodbye now, and thank you for taking the time to visit and answer our questions. I have three of your books in my bedroom, but not as yet The Surgeon, so that is on my shopping or borrowing list(anybody?)

Don't be a stranger Tess. We loved having you.

Pp

I started reading Vanish this week and I'm absolutely loving it. I have The Mephisto Club waiting to be read too and will definitely be tracking down your others.

Thanks for taking the time to answer everyone's questions.