"The Heartless Stone" by Tom Zoeller

jenmck

As part of research for one of my books, I got "The Heartless Stone" by Tom Zoeller. It is AWESOME.

The Blurb:

When he proposed to his girlfriend, Tom Zoeller gave what is expected of every American man--a diamond engagement ring. But when the relationship broke apart, he was left with a used diamond that began to haunt him. His obsession carried him around the globe: from the "blood diamond" rings of Africa; to the sweltering polishing factories of India; to the mines above the Artic Circle; to illegal diggings in Brazil; to the London headquarters of De Beers, the secretive global colossus that has dominated the industry for more than a century and permanently carved the phrase "A diamond is forever" on the psyche. An adventure story in the tradition of Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief, The Heartless Stone is a voyage into the cold heart of the world's most unyielding gem.

I love Zoeller's take on the whole diamond industry. He enters the whole adventure with the idea of finding out where the diamond that represented so much love and so much pain originated. In the end, he finds more than he ever bargained for.

For me, it wasn't just a dry collection of facts. Mr. Zoeller put flesh and blood on the facts giving them faces and feelings.

The delivery of such powerful subjects as child labor, rebel murders and smuggling diamond were all given human faces and a delicate touch.

It's a book that can appeal to anyone who wants a more personal look at a difficult subject.

I HIGHLY recommend it.