Jane Austen Book Group - Pride and Prejudice

Kell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Persuasion and Northanger Abbey are two of her shorter books, if your preference would be to ease yourself in.  Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Emma would be my favourites, I don't consider them difficult more just longer.  The most difficult I found to get into, as I really detested the main heroine, was Mansfield Park. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found it difficult to get into Mansfield Park myself, folks - but because the heroine is called Fanny, a name I detest. (Why on earth she couldn't be Frances, I don't know!)

It took a while for me to get over that, but having done so I now rate "Mansfield" as a quality read..     

Edited by Booknutt

• 2 months later...

Just for the info of any fans who may drop by before the evening off Friday 10th May -

There's a programme scheduled on BBC 2, 9 p.m. - 10.30 "Pride and Prejudice Having a Ball" in honour of the 200th anniversary of our beloved novel. The subject is - the kind of preparations which will have gone on to throw the ball at Netherfield - food, dancing, dress etc.,  It'll surely be an interesting "watch" for any fan, especially if you also just happen to be studying the novel, too.

Enjoy, all! :smile:

Edited by Booknutt

• 6 months later...

Ok.. I promised Bethany that I would read whichever book she was given to study for her English GCSE, and it's Pride and Prejudice. I avoid classics, and so I wouldn't normally pick it up, but now it looks like I have to! ;)

I have a question - if I buy her a DVD to help, would you suggest the BBC mini-series, or the Keira Knightly film?

Without question, the BBC mini-series!!!!  I've never managed to watch more than 10 minutes of the Keira Knightly film version, and I adore P&P. :D

Coincidentally, I'm almost finished listening to Lindsay Duncan read the audiobook, and it's been an absolute joy to listen to. :smile2:

Ok, the BBC one it will be. I'm not sure whether to let her watch it first to get an idea of the story, or whether she should read the book first, so she doesn't have preconceived ideas. She doesn't read much, so she'll find it hard I think.

Thanks for the audiobook info, that may be a better option for me - as long as I don't fall asleep! 

• 1 year later...