Title of book: Hallam Foe

Name of author: Peter Jinks

ISBN: 100747267480

ISBN: 13978-0747267485

Paperback: 224 pages

Publisher: Headline Review

51eNx5y8LL_SS500_.jpg

Synopsis:

Hallam Foe, a confused and sweetly old-fashioned teenager, is in doubt that his father and wicked stepmother are responsible for his mother’s suicide and, subsequently, must be watched at all times. In fact, he may as well spy on everyone else at the same time.

However Hallam’s mastery of treehouses, telescopes and dead badgers arouses suspicsion and, after a rather unfortunately incident, he’s banished to Edinburgh’s medieval Old Town. Set adrift his voyeurism becomes more dangerous. But Hallam is inventive and ceaselessly romantic and soon skylights, drainpipes and curtain rails will have potential beyond his wildest dreams.

Hallam Foe is the story of seventeen year old Hallam Foe, quiet, a little shy and a keen interest in voyeurism. In short Hallam watches everyone. Why does he do it? Because he likes to watch people interact, he likes to see people when they are alone, the need to see the hidden world, a world behind closed doors.

In summary Hallam Foe is a strange character, endearing? yes, likeable? Unfortunately no. I understood to a point why Hallam did what he did, but I did not understand why he was still doing it in his early twenties, I imagined it would be something you would grow out of (but who I am?). I also found the relationship between Hallam Foe and his stepmother, Verity, very unsettling, of course you find out why and it is a good sign that Jinks has showed this brilliantly in his style of writing.

Hallam Foe according to the back of the book is ‘a hero of our times’, I did not see it to be honest, I found him to quite odd and worrying.

On the positive side Hallam Foe is really well written and there are some genuinely funny parts in it, the way Hallam thinks, the way he blurts things out is quite humorous.

A good read in a lot of ways but not a book I can see myself returning to.

Rating: 6/10