Can anyone recommend some books...

Thelxinoe

suitable for a Mother's Day present? My Mum completely loves reading and I know she'd love a nice bundle of books! The thing is I have until Sunday to choose them and I'm at a bit of a loss! While I love books too, my Mum and I have very different taste. She likes more realistic books, what I would call "drama" books, about people and relationships and often families stuggling in difficult circumstances! Things set earlier in the past seem to be a favourite, especially earlier in the 20th century, and she has to believe that it could happen - she often laughs at my love of fantasy! Oh, and she's read pretty much every classic from the 18th/19th century so it probably has to be more modern...

So, bearing all that in mind, can anyone help? I think I've really set myself a challenge this year but I want her to enjoy her present.

Thanks!

I would very heartily recommend World's Fair by E L Doctorow. It is written through the eyes of a young boy growing up in the Depression era of 1930s New York; his hopes and aspirations for the future, with the light at the end of his tunnel represented by the famous 1939 New York World Fair. A real classic.

The authors Margaret Forster and Penelope Lively write these sort of books set in current times. I usually enjoy their novels. 'The Memory Box' is one of the latest by one of them but I can't bring any other titles to mind right at this moment in time -it's late! I've also been reading The Cazalet Chronicles which is about a family starting before the 2nd World War and then continuing over at least 4 books. They are by Elizabeth Jane Howard and she writes really well with lots of characters whose stories she interweaves without overwhelming you.

'Lullaby'

by Claire Seeber

Cracking read :lol:

Both myself and Mum who i past it on to loved this..

When Jess's husband Mickey turns up on an ICU in the local hospital without her baby boy, her nightmare is just beginning as she desperately tries to find who has taken her him..

I'm really looking forward to her next one :lol: out in August

Hope your Mum enjoys your choice's (and lends them all to you) :lol:

Just thought! Another worth checking out is

'A Gathering Light' - Jennifer Donnelly

:smile2: