Most memorable first lines

Gelfling

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my faves:

"Now these ashes have grown cold, we open the old book." - Steven Erikson, Gardens of The Moon

"In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the boy, Paul." - Frank Herbert, Dune

"'Tonight we're going to show you eight silent ways to kill a man.'" - Joe Haldeman, The Forever War

"Then, it was as though everything was stripped away: sensation, memory, self, even the notion of existence that underlies reality - all seemed to have vanished utterly, their passing marked only by the realisation that they had disappeared, before that too ceased to have meaning, and for an indefinite, infinite instant, there was only the awareness of something; something that possessed no mind, no purpose and no thought, except the knowledge that it was." - Iain M. Banks, Feersum Endjinn

"America was never innocent." - James Ellroy, American Tabloid

although the one that always sticks in my mind is:

"Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick." - Stephen King, The Shining

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth." -Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

"It begins, as most things begin, with a song." -Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

"Eyes mark the shape of the city." -After Dark by Haruki Murakami

"It was a dark and stormy night." -A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

"The summer she as fifteen, Melanie discovered she was made of flesh and blood." -The Magic Toyshop by Angela Carter

"When the phone rang I was in the kitchen, boiling a potful of spaghetti and whistling along with an FM broadcast of the overture to Rossini's The Thieving Magpie, which has to be the perfect music for cooking pasta." -The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles by Haruki Murakami

"I was looking for a quiet place to die." - The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul." Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov

"It was a pleasure to burn." Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. - The Hitch-Hiker's guide to the Galaxy.

Guest Sifredi8760

My favourite first line was from a book by Sam Bourne... I don't remember exactly the line but it was something about the end of the world.

• 1 month later...

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.

- George Orwell, 1984

The year 1866 was signalized by a remarkable incident, a mysterious and inexplicable phenomenon, which doubtless no one has yet forgotten.

- Jules Verne, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

• 2 months later...