Autobiographies and Biographies

Michelle

Was that Billy by Pamela Stevenson? I read that this year and enjoyed it. Billy had quite a harsh upbringing by two bullying aunts and a largely absent father who sexually abused him. Through all that or maybe because of that he has developed and retained a wonderful sense of humour.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was that Billy by Pamela Stevenson? I read that this year and enjoyed it. Billy had quite a harsh upbringing by two bullying aunts and a largely absent father who sexually abused him. Through all that or maybe because of that he has developed and retained a wonderful sense of humour.

oh yes it was by pamela, what doesn't kill you.....;) (ill see if i can get hold of it)

I got this for Christmas, so its on my shelf TBR! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. :D

Enjoying it thus far, I can really "hear" him coming through as I read. (if you understand my meaning) It`s also a nice change from all the crime I`ve been reading lately! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep meaning to get hold of Johnnie Walker's book, before I suddenly find it's been deleted! He's an old-time hero of mine, from the days of listening to pirate Radio London (wonderful....Radio....LONDON!) under the bedclothes on a tinny transistor. "Johnnie Walker's Ten O'Clock Turn On Time" was great - he'd just play the same record, back-to-back - it's where I first heard Soul Man by Sam and Dave.

Anyway, back at the ranch - is it any good?

Yes! I would recommend it to folk of our generation who grew up listening to Johnnie. I came away from the book feeling a lot of admiration for a man who had his fair share of troubles. I thought it might be a bit lightweight, but it was brutally honest about his mistakes and feelings. I enjoyed it and was left with much respect for this icon.

I've only read one autobiography/biography which hasn't been mentioned yet, and that's Freud Ego by Clement Freud.

It's written in a raconteur style and leads the reader in no doubt that he's led a rich and varied life, but one that's no more special than anyone else's. There's no intrusion into his private/personal life, nor anything designed to appeal to readers' sensibilities; it's a collection of episodes from his life told in a matter of fact manner but interspersed with flashes of wit. If, like me, you've heard him on Just A Minute and enjoy his contributions there, this book is unlikely to disappoint you.

• 6 months later...

My faves are ..

My Booky Wook .. Russell Brand

Moab is my Washpot .. Stephen Fry

Wodehouse: A Life .. Robert McCrum

Dickens .. Peter Ackroyd

The Mitford Girls .. Mary S Lovell

Dear Dodie (Life of Dodie Smith) .. Valerie Grove

Cider With Rosie .. Laurie Lee

The Bolter (Idina Sackville) .. Frances Osborne

Dream Brother (Jeff & Tim Buckley) .. David Browne

Our Betty .. Liz Smith

I also enjoyed 'Looking for Enid' by Duncan McLaren which I know a lot of people hated .. it was quite bizarre but I liked it.

Some I'd like to read ...

Shadowlands (the story of CS Lewis) .. Brian Sibley

Muriel Spark .. Martin Stannard

Mad World (Evelyn Waugh) .. Paula Byrne

I've just finished listening to Anna Masseys autobiography 'Telling Some Tales' which was read by Anna herself which I enjoyed .. I didn't even know she'd been married to Jeremy Brett .. she recounted a story about going to see Michael Jackson at Wembley with Carly Simon ... mad!!

Brenda Blethyn reading her own autobiography 'Mixed Blessings' was also really good.

I imagine Russell Brand is hilarious reading his.

I also loved My Booky Wook by Russell Brand. It was hilarious!

My favourite autobiography however has to be Let It Blurt about the life of Lester Bangs a New York based Gonzo journalist who was around in the 60's and 70's. He reviewed and interviewed the likes of Blondie, Lou Reed who he had a love/hate relationship with and Patty Smith who he was great friends with. He also performed in a band himself at CBGB's but never quite made it.

He told it like it was. If a record was terrible he'd say so and if he changed his mind a few months or years down the line he'd admit to that too. Because of this he was famous in certain circles and it seemed that he had a lot of friends who were only interested in that fame. Deep down he was quite a lonely person and always had been since childhood. Just before he died he was writing a book (called Let It Blurt) but he overdosed on cough mixture before finishing it. He could have been as influential as Hunter S Thompson and Jack Kerouac who were similar to him in that they wrote about what middle-class America feared.....sex, drugs & rock'n'roll (with a few Hells Angels thrown into the mix somewhere!)

It's such a sad story because he faced a lot of rejection in his life but it's one of my favourite books :D

Edited by Nicola

I read mostly memoirs, but as far as (auto)biographies -

Moab is my Washpot - Stephen Fry (auto)

Depardieu: A Biography - Paul Chutkow

Called Out of Darkness - Anne Rice (auto)

Rage to Survive - Etta James (auto)

Here's The Story - Maureen McCormick (auto)

Through The Stom - Lynn Spears (auto) - Brittney's mom

There are many more but these are the ones I enjoyed.

I recently read 'Jonathon Ross's book - Why do I say these things?' and I absolutely loved it! I love his show so I thought I would give his book a go seeing as it was going cheap in the supermarket, although I'm not one for auto/biographies really it made me laugh so hard and forget about my worries at the time. Definitely recommend! :tong: I loved the chapter on his pets, I read that section twice and laughed equally as hard both times. :D

I recently read 'Jonathon Ross's book - Why do I say these things?' and I absolutely loved it! I love his show so I thought I would give his book a go seeing as it was going cheap in the supermarket, although I'm not one for auto/biographies really it made me laugh so hard and forget about my worries at the time. Definitely recommend! :D I loved the chapter on his pets, I read that section twice and laughed equally as hard both times. :D

I bought this cheap too and just haven't got around to it yet. You have just bumped it up my list :tong:

I actually really enjoy reading true life stories, and have read quite a few. I would say my all time fave is The Kennedy Women, which I read about 10 years ago, and which talks about the Kennedy's story through the eyes of different generations of women... no wonder they had such succesful men :D

one which i'd love to read is Gabriel Byrne's autobiography - i heard him talking about his life during a TV interview once, and I was positively impressed

The only autobiography I have ever read was Charlie Chaplin's, which was a fascinating read. To be honest, I am not that interested in this type of book, it just isn't my cup of tea. There are too many of them now imo.

I used to listen to him a lot. To my shame, I didn't realise he was still around, (sorry Clement...just hadn't heard you mentioned lately). I'll have to get a copy as I think I'd enjoy it. He was always very sharp, and dry! Thanks for recommending it :)

It's funny, coz not long after ypu posted this he passed away. I may have a read of that autobiography. I think he's brilliant. I listened to him on the radio show 'Just a minute'. I love that game.

I've read:

Stephen Fry - Moab is my washpot

Richard Hammond - On the Edge

John Barrowman - Anything goes

Alex James - A bit of a blur

I loved those books all for different reasons: Stephen Fry is just so funny is his writing, John Barrowman's was goofy, my motivation for Alex James's was that I always had loved Blur and Richard Hammonds was factual and turned funny after the accident and the part of the book that was written by his wife.

On the other hand I still have :

Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Banana Skins to finish. I've started it twice before and really should do an effort to finish it. I'm about 1/3 far in the book but somehow it hasn't been able to grip me like the others have

On the other hand I still have :

Rupert Everett - Red Carpets and Banana Skins to finish. I've started it twice before and really should do an effort to finish it. I'm about 1/3 far in the book but somehow it hasn't been able to grip me like the others have

I bought this book ages ago and have never got around to reading it. I don't know why, I just haven't picked it up yet :D

Yes! I would recommend it to folk of our generation who grew up listening to Johnnie. I came away from the book feeling a lot of admiration for a man who had his fair share of troubles. I thought it might be a bit lightweight, but it was brutally honest about his mistakes and feelings. I enjoyed it and was left with much respect for this icon.

Love that book, my very fave non fiction I think. My impression after reading it: What a woman Tiggy Walker is!