Autobiographies and Biographies

Michelle

The book: "Women Against War" by the Women's Division of Soka Gakkai is a compilation of true accounts by women who have been affected by World War II in Asia. Interestingly, all the women are Japanese - which gives us another perspective on the citizens of the country thought of as the villian of WWII in Asia. This books proves that in war, everyone suffers.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Nice - Howard Marks is fascinating.

The Ice Man - Confessions of a mafia contract killer (written by Phillip Carlo about Richard Kuklinski - apparently the most prolific mob contract killer ever.)

Gordon Ramsay - Playing with fire. This deal more with the rise of his business empire than his biography however it's a fascinating read all the same.

Cocky - Curtis Warren

Riders on the storm - my life with Jim Morrison and The Doors - John Densmore.

Edited by mister.g

I am back into Pop Music autobiographys

Just read Neil Diamonds which was written by someone else and it is really **** just a discography.

Next up is Status Quo by Status Quo so should be better.

Last year I read the Kenneth Willams Diaries and The Elton John one. Elton John was a spoilt brat and Williams and excentric all very enjoyable.

I have a signed copy of Barbara Windsors autobiography as I was her late fathers carer when he lived in Lowestoft.

She was normal and I could write a book alone with what she told me about the carry on days.

I'm reading JG Ballard's Miracles of Life.

And I'm loving it, absolutely loving it. Unlike most autobiography that I read.

I guess the reasons are that, firstly he's a brilliant writer and I've always loved his writing style.

Secondly that, so far, he's not writing about his writing or fame, or any of the stuff that's made him a public figure. He's writing about his childhood experiences in Shanghai and internment camps, and the dislocation and weirdness of arriving in grim post-war Britain.

Third is, I think, there's a hell of a lot of insight into late 20th century Britain (stuff he brings to his fiction, but which he describes more literally here).

So it's not a tedious memoir of "I went to school, I went to University, I got this job, I married this woman, I wrote this book, it was tough, I lived in horrible lodgings for a while, I wrote that book and made a bit of money and this is the tale of the high-profile fight that you've seen in the papers between me and some other semi-famous people" like most autobiographies seem to be.

I am back into Pop Music autobiographys

Just read Neil Diamonds which was written by someone else and it is really **** just a discography.

Next up is Status Quo by Status Quo so should be better.

Last year I read the Kenneth Willams Diaries and The Elton John one. Elton John was a spoilt brat and Williams and excentric all very enjoyable.

I have a signed copy of Barbara Windsors autobiography as I was her late fathers carer when he lived in Lowestoft.

She was normal and I could write a book alone with what she told me about the carry on days.

I read many books on elton and it's true he did have tantrums! he even videoed them and they were on tv a while back "Tantrums and tiraras" that he got his partner david furnish to film him on and off the stage and you see his tantrums.:lol:

They can be very good but a lot of the time they are hit and miss depending on who wrote them :lol:

Well I do imagine that it has to be someone you like.. :lol:

Just read Status Quo by Francis Rossi and Rick Parfitt.

Very good how they had a chapter each but they did repeat each others facts. of course you new the inevitable would happen when a drugged up rock star has a swimming pool and children. As an anti drug person I was appalled at how matter of fact the drug taking was recieved. I was not interested in that part but otherwise enjoyed yet another good Rock/ Pop autobiography

I've started an autobiography that's in 2 parts that's written by Barack Obama

I'm reading Dreams from my father too! And I'm finding it fascinating... Because of the context and who the author has actually become of course :) But also in its own right. I'm just taking it slow as I want to enjoy it fully and it is very dense!

Is the Audacity of Hope really like a second part though? I saw it more as a political book (whereas the first was written long before President Obama *sounds soo good to say!* entered politics). But maybe I should look into it after reading this?

I'm reading Dreams from my father too! And I'm finding it fascinating... Because of the context and who the author has actually become of course :) But also in its own right. I'm just taking it slow as I want to enjoy it fully and it is very dense!

Is the Audacity of Hope really like a second part though? I saw it more as a political book (whereas the first was written long before President Obama *sounds soo good to say!* entered politics). But maybe I should look into it after reading this?

it is the second part yes

Wow, I didn't know that. I haven't seen his American series, not sure it's been on here yet or not (I don't watch much TV so these things can pass me by unnoticed) What was it about? Documentary type thing?

Yes it was great. He travelled around America in his signature black London taxi, through all the states and sort of did a piece on things appropriate to that state. It was very good, although I could listen to him all day! ;)

i was in the charity shop the other day and saw billy connolly biography written by his wife, i was umming and ahhing on whether to get it....wish i did now he is an interesting man and very funny.

I dont read much biographies tbh i bought one of eminems when i was younger but still not read it. I'm interested in reading biographies of people who have gone through some kind of mental illness, or done something inspiring, not celebs who do it to get money and have lead pretty ordinary lives, we could all write a biography (probably better than some out there) i really want to read into the wild by Jon Krakauer, i saw the film and LOVED it! ;)