Autobiographies and Biographies

Michelle

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which biographies have you read, and which did you enjoy?

"Titan : The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr." by Ron Chernow.

In general, Rockefeller is always described as a money hungry, unscrupuoulus individual.

This book gives a much more realistic view of a man, who used almost every means to get to the top, and evade the government's net for decades.

A thick book, but constantly interesting. A perfect read for that trans-pacific flight!

• 3 weeks later...

Still Me by Christopher Reeve is amazingly upbeat & inspirational (as is it's follow up, but I can't recall it's title at the moment).

I also loved Lucky Man by Michael J Fox - his attitude & the way he's changed his lifestyle is amazing. Very powerful & moving.

If you want a bit of a "shocker" full of intimate revelations, then you can't beat Cybill Disobediece by Cybill Shepherd - raunchy stuff!

• 3 months later...

I'll be starting Letter From America by Alistair Cooke shortly - I'm not sure if it's exactly a biography, but it was certainly in that section at the book shop...

• 4 weeks later...

I was just wondering who everyone would realy like to see a(n) (auto)biography about? And what is it about them that makes you think it would be an intersting read exactly?

Anyone like to volunteer some ideas there?

It takes a very very skillful writer to come up with a biography that keeps my interest for long. I think that's why I don't often read them. But I do enjoy watching the Biography series on A&E. Some have been excellent and you get a lot of visuals that you wouldn't get in print.

One of the best was Mary Todd Lincoln. She was a real piece of work!

This is going to make me sound like a biog nutter but I am fussy honest!

Bette Davis -[Title forgotten]

Lauren Bacall- [as above]

Fred Astaire -[ ditto]

David Niven- The Moons a balloon & bring on the empty horses

Graham Norton-So Me

Billy Connolly-Billy & 2nd book[title forgotten]

Monica Dickens-[ummm]

Bob monkhouse-[ooh]

Also true stories by "ordinary folk" Whose lives have been full of challenges shall we say,and how they got through.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at the Biography section in the library for a while now and have read a couple. Sharon Osbourne, Tom Finney, William Regal to name a few, and I've also started reading the 'ordinary folk, amazing stories' books too.

Are there any you would really recommend as a fantastic read.

What other wrestling ones have you read Wizard??

Kat

:catlove:

• 2 months later...

I've looked at this thread a couple of times and dismissed it as I don't tend to read biography. And I just realised that one of the best books I have read this year was a biography (of course I knew it was a biography at the time, I just hadn't linked it to this thread in my mind!).

It is called The Bugatti Queen: Ins earch of a motoracing legend by a much published biographer, Miranda Seymour.

I will post a review now, if anyone would like to find out more.

I really enjoyed Frank Skinner's autobiography, it was hilarious at times, laugh out loud by the pool stuff. I really enjoy autobiography books although I never used to.

I have also read: Anne Robinson, Sharon Osbourne, Richard & Judy, Marilyn Manson(!), Shane Ritchie, Martin Kemp, Geri Halliwall, Sheila Hancock, Billy Connelly.

I know some of these sound a little easy but I read allsorts and I like to add some light reading in between other books.

I have read loads of the 'ordinary people' life stories, but I feel that some, more recent ones have jumped on the bandwagon.

Frank McCourt's books were very good and Torey Hayden is excellent

Thanks for the welcome! The Richard & Judy one was great, it is a couple of years old, I gave it to a friend so dont have it anymore. It was really interesting to hear how they met and fell in love. They write a chapter each so you get different perspectives on their experiences.

Sharon Osbourne's was quite good, it was interesting to read about her background, it makes you realise why she is so family orientated when you read about her relationship with her own Dad.

Sheila Hancock's book about her life with John Thaw was very moving.

The Marilyn Manson book was strange and weird and quite disturbing, my husband had it for a holiday read and I read it when I ran out of books in Crete - very odd!

Shane Ritchie and Geri Halliwell were a bit too light if you know what I mean.

I want to read Angela's Ashes- the film is amazing! The only biog I've read was Alan Rickman's and it was very interesting. He's a very talented actor (and occasionally over actor!) and the book was a gift from my aunt (who is a drama teacher and also acts) because I wanted to act when I was younger. I didn't think I'd enjoy it but it was very good.

I enjoyed Angela's Ashes. From what I can remember, the film was pretty true to the book.

I haven't read many auto/biographies. I did read Martin Kemp's book, which was quite interesting, but not heavy going.

• 4 weeks later...