Marley & Me by John Grogan

Kirstykat

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

I have only just started reading the book so only 100 pages in so far and I really am enjoying it ;) I am already in love with Marley! And the part where

Marley is comforting Jenny after she gets back from hospital is so moving :D

Read this book last year and absolutely loved it! We had a labrador when I was a kid and he did most of what Marley gets up to as well.:icon_eek:

We have a beagle now and he is just as dozy, but labradors are more affectionate.

Not sure if the film would ruin the book?

NicolaJ

Read this book last year and absolutely loved it! We had a labrador when I was a kid and he did most of what Marley gets up to as well.:icon_eek:

We have a beagle now and he is just as dozy, but labradors are more affectionate.

Not sure if the film would ruin the book?

NicolaJ

Sadly the film was a big let down

I quite liked the film. It wasn't as good as the book but I still found it quite funny, plus the dog (or dogs) that played Marley were adorable :icon_eek: It's heartbreaking at the end though, for obvious reasons. I was crying so long after it finished.

I didn't like the movie much, I thought the movie concentrated on Grogan and Marley was more of an accessory. I definitely preferred the book, I got so much more out of Marley by reading the novel. Also, I cried a lot more when I was reading the book, I don't think I cried during the movie at all.

Ok then I have recently finished this book. I did really enjoy it! I thought that there was quite a lot on Marley and not a lot on the family which is how I liked it. A book hasn't filled me up with so much different emotions than this book has in quite a long time. There was so many laugh out loud moments

such as when Marley swallows the pregnancy test!

a lot of times when I just thought aww he is so sweet! But also, quite heartbreaking

when the vet rang John my heart was pounding and hoping nothing bad would happen :lol:

I liked how there was so much personal things added to make the book that bit more special. Such as the photos of Marley, a copy of the

article John wrote

and the interview at the end

I found it sad about the other dog that was mentioned at the end, but glad they found a lovable dog that wasn't like Marley because no other dog could replace him :lol:

. I do have the film cover of the book so I'm not sure if these are in other copies.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished the book and i absolutley loved it. I'm a massive animal fan and i have been especially bugging my husband recently because i want a dog (actually i want two!). Due to this book making me laugh so many times and it being the sort of book i knew my OH would enjoy i read most of it to him, and he has since started looking up advertisments for the type of dogs we would like!

I found the book so endearing and i really do love the way he writes about Marley. It was so obvious how much he was loved and i am sure if i could tell from the pages of a book, he knew he was special to them. Dogs just seem to know things! Definatley a favorite. I also expect the film wont be as good, but as a suppliment to reading this book, i will watch the film as soon as i can get my mits on it!

It has also encouraged me to seek out more stories involving animals, and i have heard of a book i hope to be getting, along with some others on my wish list for my anniversary. Endal. I will write more on that as soon as i have read it. For now i think i have to say that this book Marley & me is definatley one of the best books i have ever read. 10/10

• 2 weeks later...

I love this book! I currently have a very lively three year old labrador and cried through most of the book as it reminded me so much of my own dog- but I did love the optimism as I know from experience that you never forget a pet that has passed away but you can love another with the same ferocity.

I quite enjoyed the film and did try to warn my husband (who had not read the book!) However, despite my warnings he still came out of the cinema crying and insisted on taking our dog for a walk at one in the morning! The power of words never ceases to amaze!

• 2 months later...

Oh I loved this book. It really made me laugh but obviously was very moving too. I watched the film the other day and it made me cry. I was worried at the start that it would be a bit sugary sweet but i thought they did a pretty good job of capturing the book.

• 2 years later...

I saw the movie a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, but the book was far better. Finished it on the train last night and had to try my hardest not to shed a tear. Wife asked me why I wasn't talking much when she picked me up from the station, was just a bit emotional.

Thought the book transcended simply a dog story, and showed a lot we could learn from the relationships in it.

I loved the contradictory quotes on the back cover of my copy, one journo saying how much it would appeal to everyone, and another stating how you would have to be a dog lover to enjoy it...

Has anyone read any of Grogan's other books?