Marley & Me by John Grogan

Kirstykat

This is a FANTASTIC book - regardless of whether or not you are a Canine fan. I laughed, I cried, I wept and I smiled and everything in between.

I don't dislike dogs, but I am more of a Cat Person. This book reminded me of why I am an Animal Lover and why I loved my childhood dog so very much.

This is a true story of a journalist and his wife and the puppy that they bought. A Labrador Retriever, they thought that he would be easy to train and an easy, loveable family pet. The second half could not be more true. He is a clumsy, loveable oaf and the 'adventures' that the family have with this happy, spirited dog and the situations they all come across and find themselves in make you want to rush out and find him - not just any dog - HIM!!

Apparently, there will be a film of this book released this year and I hope that it will do it justice.

Be prepared for tears as well as laughter, though.

Enjoy!!

Kirsty.:readingtwo:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this last year, one of my top reads, and loved it Yes it was a tearjerker but also very very funny. Don't think I could watch the film though it would leave me crying for a week! We have a labrador who is very much like Marley in every aspect. I know Kat read most of it but couldn't carry on when it reached a certain point!

I read this book last year and loved it. I thought I had mentioned it at the time!!?? I have had 2 labradors in my time, the first was a lot like Marley and the second was completely adorable and biddable and even the vet cried when he had to put him to sleep. Although it is now 10 years since I lost him, I still cry when I think of his last day. Both dogs died in my arms and so peacefully it makes me wonder why we dont let humans go that way.

I wish I could have another labrador, but they are too strong and would send me flying now that I am in my 70s. I never walk past one in the street and get thoroughly licked and greeted when I say hello to them. Adorable wonderful dogs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read the last ten pages in a mist of tears and through that veil choking back the lump in my throat I reached down to Sam laying prone on the floor, cupped his muzzle in my hands and said “Sam I love you” He rose up on all fours placed his fore legs on my chest and raised his tail, he then passed wind loudly. I could imagine Marley looking down from Heaven saying “Good boy Sam”

CJ.

:roll::lol::( That's just the kinda thing that could be in the book, so funny! You must've cracked!

Thank you for the review :( It's such a great book.

Marley and ME means the book is about Marley and and John Grogan. 3.5 million readers seemed to have enjoyed it. But I guess we all have different tastes.:roll:

Yes, Marley & Me. Not Marley (who is the less mentioned character in the book) & Me, my wife, kids, and our feelings about everything but Marley, except only when my wife is suffering from PPD and decides to kick him out and beat him and our sadness for when he passes away at the end of the book.

• 2 weeks later...