Tudor - Anne Boleyn Books

kitty_kitty

I love anything to do with Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and Elizabeth I.

Which books do people recommend about them.

I have read:

The other Boleyn girl

The Boleyn Inheritance

The Queen of Subtleties - Suzannah Dunn

The secret Diary of Annne Boleyn

That is all i can remember off the top of my head

Ooh, I love anything to do with Anne Boleyn! Sadly, I'm too young for Philippa Gregory, though I've read a few on the six wives already.

Anne Boleyn- The Wife Who Lost Her Head

Anne Boleyn And Me

The Secret Diary Of Anne Boleyn

The Sixth Wife

And others, although I forget what they are :D

:blush:Hello Everyone! It's been a while,but I am back now !

I LOVE Historical Novels and can highly recommend 'Anne Boleyn, A Novel' by Jessica Smith. It shows a very interesting side to The Tale and you can tell that it was really well researched. I got my copy from E-Bay - I am not sure if it is still in print as the original price was in Shillings and Pence....! It's worth keeping your eyes peeled for, though

• 4 months later...

I can't really recommend any other books than those already mentioned, but I just wanted to say that I've just re-read The Other Boleyn Girl and am really in the mood for some more books from this period - I'm going to have to find some of the ones on this list!

Alison Weir's non-fiction books are very readable - I've found them the most enjoyable of all 'text book' type history books.

What a great suggestion. I never thought of reading non-fiction as I always considered them to be too 'text like'. I find it hard to keep facts and figures in my head when they are presented as a learning text, which is why I struggled with history at school. I've learnt more about historical figures and timelines through fiction than I did at A-level :D

• 9 months later...

Just to let people know:

I don't know if this is available anywhere else, but in the u.k. Probs though. Galaxy is doing a book comp using a code on the inside wrapper and you really should redeem the codes. It isn't a scam, I recieved my book withing a week in a cute brown gradient ox with pink books on it, a galaxy bookmark and your chosen book out of about eight which has the galazy book comp sticker on the front. The other boleyn girl is one of the titles being offered and its an amazing comp,

enter plz :haha:

• 10 months later...
Have you read The Six Wives of Henry VIII? I've read this recently and thought it was great. :D

I read this too, last summer and really enjoyed it (as much as you can I guess!). It was really good to read more about Katherine of Aaragon rather than Anne Boleyn.

I also read another book about Anne Boleyn by Joanna Denny last summer, but she is a staunch believer that Boleyn was a victim of Henry rather than his equal. I don't dispute Henry was wicked in getting rid of her for Jane, but Boleyn was a very wild woman!

If you like non-fiction, Eric Ives has written a super biography of Anne -it's called The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn: The Most Happy.

Also, The Lady in the Tower: The Fall of Anne Boleyn, by Alison Weir, is supposed to be very good (also non-fiction).

I read this too, last summer and really enjoyed it (as much as you can I guess!). It was really good to read more about Katherine of Aaragon rather than Anne Boleyn.

I also read another book about Anne Boleyn by Joanna Denny last summer, but she is a staunch believer that Boleyn was a victim of Henry rather than his equal. I don't dispute Henry was wicked in getting rid of her for Jane, but Boleyn was a very wild woman!

I read that one as well, but I found the author's very obvious bias was a bit off-putting. It was as if she blindly refused to accept that Anne could have ever done anything wrong.

I read that one as well, but I found the author's very obvious bias was a bit off-putting. It was as if she blindly refused to accept that Anne could have ever done anything wrong.

That's what I thought, I was trying to word it thus in the post but couldn't think of how to put it! She was very pro-Anne, and anti-Katherine/Jane.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've recently finished The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George and I would highly recommend it. This huge door stop of a book has been very well researched, is rich in detail but also gives Henry's life in a novel form from his point of view. It starts in his boyhood and goes right through his wives up until his death.

I consume all of the Tudor books that I can get my hands on and it was great to finally read something from Henry's point of view. It even inspired a trip to Hampton Court Palace :)

I've recently finished The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George and I would highly recommend it. This huge door stop of a book has been very well researched, is rich in detail but also gives Henry's life in a novel form from his point of view. It starts in his boyhood and goes right through his wives up until his death.

I consume all of the Tudor books that I can get my hands on and it was great to finally read something from Henry's point of view. It even inspired a trip to Hampton Court Palace :)

Yes, I too think that Margaret George's biography of Henry VIII is a great read. It's ages since I read it but it is still one of my favourites.

Apart from C J Sansom's Shardlake books, the novel that springs immediately to mind is Wolf Hall which, being about Thomas Cromwell, features Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn quite prominently. I thought it was brilliant :)

• 5 months later...

I'm still pretty much obsessed with the Tudors, especially Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard. These are the books I would recommend:

The Autobiography of Henry VIII- Margaret George

The Boleyn Inheritance- Philippa Gregory

The Sixth Wife- Jean Plaidy

Murder Most Royal- Jean Plaidy

The Lady In The Tower- Jean Plaidy

The Confession of Katherine Howard- Suzannah Dunn

Innocent Traitor - Alison Weir

The Other Boleyn Girl- Philippa Gregory

And non-fiction favourites:

Elizabeth - David Starkey

Six Wives - David Starkey

The Lady In The Tower- Alison Weir