Bookmarks!

Michelle

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I mostly read Kindle books these days, so don't have bookmarks aside from my study books. And those ones are just freebies that I received from various sources - usually a form of advertising. They do fine for me. I also have a metal one, with 50 Must Read Books on it, but that one is kind of heavy and a bit awkward (I tend to use a bookmark to underline the lines that I'm reading when I read a treebook).

• 3 weeks later...

I usually read books on my kindle as well, but when others purchase books for me for Christmas they're usually a physical copy. That being said, with the physical copies I got this year, my mom also got me bookmarks that you can color on to go with them! Each bookmark has a different design outlined that you can color in. I've already colored on one and put it in one of my books. I love it!

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a metal one, with 50 Must Read Books on it, but that one is kind of heavy and a bit awkward

I bought this one the other day. I'd seen it years ago in a bookshop and always regretted not buying it, so I was very happy when I saw it in my local bookshop. :)

Where does everyone keep their bookmarks? (Besides inside the books ;) ) I've got quite a few now and keep them in a cardboard box. They're kept neat, but they're not exactly 'on display'. I think someone here (Devi?) keeps them in a lovely container.

Any ideas for how I can display mine? I tried Googling ideas but was frustrated by the number of sites referring to website bookmarks instead of 'real' bookmarks. Some genuine collector types seem to store theirs in plastic sleeves in binders, but they're still not on display as such.

The problem is that they're all different shapes and sizes. I have magnetic bookmarks of varying sizes, some with feathers, others with beads etc.

My Mam had loads of her nicest ones framed - it was a MASSIVE frame and it was on display in our hallway for years. She had that many of them she couldn't possibly use them all - LOL!

• 2 months later...

I just have bookmarks lying around everywhere, really. I'll use the same one for a while, then randomly grab another. 

At the moment, I'm using a Book Fest bookmark. It's a regular one. I also have a bookmark from a bookstore called Limerick and it's very simplistic, but beautiful. I love using them, but worry when they get worn. Luckily, I must have been there more than I can remember when I was a student (this is a bookstore in the city where I went to college), because I keep finding new ones all around my room!

I do own magnetic bookmarks, but I'm always scared they'll be too heavy and ruin the pages or the book will get stretch. I know this won't happen or they wouldn't sell them, but I'm just neurotic about my books.

I usually use a piece of paper as a bookmark.I just don't understand why people spend their money on beautiful bookmarks. I don't efen see it when I put it into my book. :D So I go perfectly well with my little-piece-of-paper-method :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love it when I find scraps of paper that people have used as bookmarks in library books. It feels creepy to admit, but it's always funny to see someone having used a shopping list or something random.

I have a few bookmarks but they are all being used in books that I have stopped reading and recently I have been leaving my books open when I'm not reading them because I haven't gotten any more.

I love it when I find scraps of paper that people have used as bookmarks in library books. It feels creepy to admit, but it's always funny to see someone having used a shopping list or something random.

I have a few bookmarks but they are all being used in books that I have stopped reading and recently I have been leaving my books open when I'm not reading them because I haven't gotten any more.

This is always interesting to see, though I will admit to book blasphemy and say I love it even more when I see that someone has scrawled notes on the pages. Both this and the scraps of paper make me think about who these people are or may have been. Reminds me of 'object journey' stories like Annie Proulx's Accordion Crimes, too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few proper bookmarks - mainly ones I've purchased on Amazon when I've needed to spend a couple more pound in order to get free delivery - but for the most part I mainly use homemade bookmarks.  These consist of pretty coloured/patterned paper or card which I have cut down to size.  Nothing fancy.

I also sometimes use page markers (or flags as they are sometimes called) as I always have a stack to hand in order to mark favourite quotes etc.