Bookmarks!

Michelle

I used to live in the middle east and have a bookmark bought from Bedouins and made from camel hair haha total random x

I tend to use two. One is leather and was purchased from a souvenir shop at one of the Hadrian's wall fort's a few years ago on a trip up there. The other is my last remaining dollar bill from my first trip to the USA, which I have laminated. I do fold corners in paperbacks though, I see them as "disposable"

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After years of inadvertantly donating bookmarks to the library when I returned books (including souvenir Olympic bookmarks, hand made cross stitch ones, and a nifty magnetic set), now, I simply memorise the pages numbers each time I take a break.

I have two or three bookmarks that I tend to use but whenever I want one I can never seem to find one to use. After reading jjzazzy's reply earlier today it has reminded me that I started a 'Fuschia' cross stitch bookmark last year which I didn't finish. I must try and find it, perhaps one day I will finish it!

Funnily enough I started reading Bridget Jones's Diary the other day which I bought from a second hand shop when I opened it I found a blue book mark with a whale on it and an old shopping list. I could tell it was a book geeks too...at the bottom of the shopping list it said "Must order Cycle of the Warewolf by Stephen King" ! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

After years of inadvertantly donating bookmarks to the library when I returned books (including souvenir Olympic bookmarks, hand made cross stitch ones, and a nifty magnetic set), now, I simply memorise the pages numbers each time I take a break.

:( This is why I'm rather OCD-ish about returning my books. I leaf through each and every one of them, searching for bookmarks, at home before going to the library, and then when I'm at the library desk, I usually go over them again, just to be on the safe side :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

I've just become obsessed with bookmarks. I've started to make them my self and also collect the free ones from different places I go. I never used to use bookmarks but now I have fun deciding what bookmark I should use with my current book!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JellyBeans91

I don't use a bookmark as I read most of my books on my iPad now. But when I read an actual book I either just fold the pages or just use a piece of paper. I don't see the point in having something all fancy. I'm reading a book not looking at my bookmark.

But when I read an actual book I either just fold the pages

:o Gasp

:wink:

I quite often use freebie bookmarks that you get advertising things like I am currently using one from waterstones that was advertising the e-readers when they were new or till receipts.

I do have some fancy bookmarks including magnetic ones but never seem to use those.

I received a bookmark with my book from the Book Depository today. They're such a lovely surprise when you receive one!

This one has international shoe sizes on one side (including Australia, yay!) and a clothes size converter on the other side. :)

• 2 months later...

I always use a bookmark, I have this thing about turning page corners or writing books, I can't deface books.

My favourite bookmark has a picture of my grandchildren on, one one side another the other side, my daughter renews it for me every year when they have the school photographs done and gives it me for christmas, after I was delighted with the first one I received about 4 years ago.

Writing this down, I can barely believe that I have managed this but I have been using the same Narnia bookmark since I was about 12. Over the years (although not too many I hasten to add), there have been others that have come and gone but I always have this one sat on my shelf as my old faithful, which I have stuck to solidly for the past 2 or 3 years. It is brown and on one side has the words Narnia, with each letter decorated like you sometimes see on the first letter of a chapter (hope you understand what I mean by that!) Then on the back it has a list of all the books. Randomly, I seem to think that the headmaster of the school where my dad teaches gave it to me!

• 5 months later...

I have a couple of books marks. I have one with a penguin on that was given to me years ago, by a friend. I also have a gorgeous silver butterfly bookmark from Selfridges, which I received 2 christmases ago. My latest bookmark was given to me last Christmas. It's a beautiful art deco flower bookmark.

I always end up losing my bookmarks so now I just fold the corner of the page. Yes I know, I'm a criminal. I get some dirty looks from my friends when they see the worn pages, but I don't mind. It's almost like my books are full of memories; most of my childhood books are tattered and ragged but they remind me of the joy the stories brought when I'd open the books and bend the spine. Whenever I get a new book, it doesn't feel like it's mine until I've managed to fold a few pages.

I have a book string my sister gave me one year, has some nice stones either end to make it easier to see. I absolutely love it! Otherwise I tend to use the free bookmarks that I get from book depository, I have a draw full of them because it's where I buy pretty much every book hehe.

Edited by Devi

I have a book string my sister gave me one year, has some nice stones either end to make it easier to see. I absolutely love it! Otherwise I tend to use the free bookmarks that I get from book depository, I have a draw full of them because it's where I buy pretty much every book hehe.

Haha. I have loads of freebies from the BD too. :) It's the only sensible place for us Aussies to buy, isn't it? Soooo cheap!

Haha. I have loads of freebies from the BD too. :) It's the only sensible place for us Aussies to buy, isn't it? Soooo cheap!

Yeah I can't believe I didn't know about it earlier, Kmart are good for paper backs but they rarely have any old books in stock.

I always end up losing my bookmarks so now I just fold the corner of the page. Yes I know, I'm a criminal. I get some dirty looks from my friends when they see the worn pages, but I don't mind. It's almost like my books are full of memories; most of my childhood books are tattered and ragged but they remind me of the joy the stories brought when I'd open the books and bend the spine. Whenever I get a new book, it doesn't feel like it's mine until I've managed to fold a few pages.

Why don't you buy a magnetic bookmark? They are really handy, you can buy one that sticks out, and you'll be less likely to forget it on a book when you've found a nice one that cost you money :)

I got my first BD freebie bookmark yesterday. Do they do different kinds? Mine was a very educational one, with inches vs centimeters and feet vs meters. At first I thought it was nice, then told Valtteri about it and he said 'awww, they are trying to educate you without you knowing it' and I felt patronized. Hmph!

:giggle:

Edited by frankie

Oh, there are heaps, Frankie! They used to send bookmarks with artwork by different authors, which was great. But now there is a series of handy bookmarks. Don't feel patronised! I think they're awesome. I have ones with the periodic table of elements, conversions of clothing sizes, Apple and Windows computer shortcuts etc.

There's a list of the bookmarks at the BD's website. I think I have about half of them...maybe more (and quite a few duplicates).