Bookmarks!

Michelle

• Replies 966
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a terrible reader, I commit the sin of *whispers* turning down the pages of paperbacks! I use the jacket to mark hardbacks. I almost never use a bookmark.

I once had a library book with a piece of bacon rind in it as a bookmark!

Debbie

Oooh Debbie - you were right to whisper - I am reluctant to loan people books because they do things like that; I once leant over to someone on a train and stopped them dog-earring a library book. (I need to get out more!!) Bacon Rind? Hmm I think that book ended up in our local library - did you have eggs with that? :D

I always use bookmarks, I've got a pair of safari animals that hang over the back spine. Occasionally I use airline tickets or freebies from bookstores.

I am reluctant to loan people books because they do things like that; I once leant over to someone on a train and stopped them dog-earring a library book. (I need to get out more!!) Bacon Rind? Hmm I think that book ended up in our local library - did you have eggs with that? :D

heh - i treat books terrible. they get turned down on the corners, read in the bath, chucked at people, covered in fingerprints...

i think a lot of the reason that people don't read somuch is that when they were kids they had people standing behind them yelling at them for turning pages too roughly. so they lost the joy of just READING the damn book, for fear of damaging it.

a turned down coner doesn't affect the story in the slightest. and surely it's the STORY that's important? we have books at thome that have been literally 'read to death'. the covers fall off, the spines are broken... but they're much loved and that's the most important thing.

As I always carry a book in my bag, they end up getting pretty tatty (stabbed by the hairbrush, bent at the edges), so with paperbacks I am a page turner - sorry, but only with my own books. I also take great pleasure in breaking the spine! :duck:

Hardbacks is different story all together. I remove the cover as soon as the book comes off the book shelf to stop it getting damaged, and I usually stick it in the gap so there are no gaps in the bookcase (weird aren't I). :spin:

I'll use whatever's available as a bookmark as long as it has some colour - I don't like receipts. In my last hard back I used a birthday card, and I like using postcards from friends (a little love before settling down to read and dreams of far off places).

I had a cat bookmark that hooks over the top of the book, but it kept threatening to bend so now it's decorating the TV.

Jo xx

book makers is one of my weak point as I always buy and use them. I tend to buy them as sovinue of either holieday, charity or even people I have meet in life. My favourite is one I was given by a patient who painted by mouth - a reminder that we are all fortunate to be able to share the written the wordno matter what - even the blind!

Dorothy

I think a lot of the reason that people don't read somuch is that when they were kids they had people standing behind them yelling at them for turning pages too roughly. so they lost the joy of just READING the damn book, for fear of damaging it.

a turned down coner doesn't affect the story in the slightest. and surely it's the STORY that's important? we have books at thome that have been literally 'read to death'. the covers fall off, the spines are broken... but they're much loved and that's the most important thing.

I agree that books like many other things need to be loved and enjoyed - I grew up in a family of 6 where personal possessions of any type were few - if you spoilt it you didn't get something new. Maybe I'm anal but I respect all my possessions not just books and I can't bring myself to be less careful just because the book was cheap or it was a second hand copy or it belongs to someone else or it's a shared family item. Chacun a son gout!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I recently received a cute bookmark in a RISI swap (it was a little boko, so they obviously felt they had to send something with it to make it worthwhile - the book was The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, so it was worth it anyway!). The bookmark is topped by a fuzzy bear with its arms outstretched as though offering a hug & it peaks out the top of the book. It's SOOOOO cute! Of course, me being me, he has to have a name. And me being me, I have to give him a lieteral[.i] name. He's called Booky Bear. Highly unoriginal, I know, but he makes me smile. :)

There's something nice about receiving a bookmark - you get some beautiful ones these days with semi-precious stones & everything in them. Lovely!

does any one else do those "In Memory of" thingys after someone dies over there? (It usually consists of a photograph of the deseased and a prayer?)

It's cause that's what I am currently using as a bookmark - and it is not as a sign of disrespect - in fact everytime I start to read, I think of the person who died, and say what a pity!( he was 26 yrs old)

We do it as a memento of loved ones. It must be an old Maltese tradition.

Older people usually keep the picture of a loved one next to a picture of a saint/our lady/Jesus that they pray to, and a church candle, and say a prayer for their soul when they pray. (Say if a woman lost her husband, she will put this next to Our lady's picture and a candle, and say a prayer for him whenever she prays)

Maureen, I don't think that so many people do that over here as much nowadays. I tend to light a candle in memory and Our Lady's prayer. A bookmark is a lovely idea.

I love bookmarks but somehow they always seem to disappear or borrowed, so I don't see them again :shock:

Now you come to mention it they are book mark shaped! i have looked at the book jewel things which are gorgeous but I tend to use anything near! Bit like you Maureen!

but use all sorts of things as a bookmark - shopping bills, pieces of paper, cardboard cut-outs, gum wrappers, was even using a coaster one time.