Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Kell

Everytime I hear one of the tube stations mentioned on the traffic news I still can't help but think of this book! One in particular always gives me the shivers but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was....

Great story! :)

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

My fave character was the Marquis de Carabas. He was the most fun character. Had a bit of a dark side but was ultimately good.

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

I didn't really feel The Ordeal was all that bad, and some other parts were a bit meh. Saying that, the imagination of Gaiman in this novel was what I enjoyed most and the way he led your imagination on a journey along with the story.

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

This was the first book I've read by Neil Gaiman, although I had decided I had wanted to read his Sandman series before reading this book. Its just made me want to read them more. I'd also like to read Coraline before the film comes out.

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

I felt a few ideas were a little childish, but it didn't really lessen my overall enjoyment of the book. The imagery was all very clear, even simplistic at times, but that made the weird nature of book more accesible, and gave you a bit of the feel of the wizard of oz and alice in wonderland. You felt like you were reading a children's fantasy book for adults, which was what Gaiman was aiming at.

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Definately really enjoyed reading this book. Took me no time at time to finish as I took it nearly everywhere with me to try and read a bit here and there and keep up with the story. At the end the book stayed in my mind for days, which I feel a good book should. I'd recommend the book to anyone with a good imagination and who likes the slighty dark and weird.

1- Who was your favourite character and why?

Islington. I am fascinated by theological themes and angels, when they're not trivialised and made tritely obvious, intrigue me greatly. As I said however, I was gutted about how it turned out.

2- Was there a particular part you enjoyed/disliked more than the rest?

Enjoyed: The Earl's Court scene. Priceless.

Disliked: Islington and Hunter let me down. I'm used to being a pretty good judge of character and the fact I was so grossly mistaken about both of them got me in a bit of a grump.

3- Was this the first book you've read in this genre/by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

Read it after "Anansi Boys" and "Stardust", which I enjoyed just as much; I went on to read some of his "Sandman" graphic novels (I've only got 1 & 4 so far, they're so good but so expensive!). I want to read "American Gods", as I love Gaiman's way of handling myth and also because people either love it or hate it so I want to form my own opinion. Eventually, I want to read all his works - he's that good.

4- Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

Nope :).

5- Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Absolutely. I loved every page and would reccommend to just about anyone. The ending was a bit obvious but I don't mind, Gaiman weaves his story in such a way you wouldn't want it ending otherwise.