Ice Station by Matthew Reilly

jenmck

I just bought this book today. I've read "The Seven Deadly Wonders" and reviewed it

This one is an earlier book that began his career (He's an Aussie) and I've been looking out for it.

I figured I'd start this thread as I read it and for anyone else who has read it.

Antartica is the last unconquered continent, a murderous expanse of howling winds, blinding whiteouts and deadly crevasses. On the edge of Antarctica is Wilkes Station. Beneath Wilkes Station is the gate to hell itelf. A team of U.S. divers, exploring three thousand feet beneath the ice shelf, has vanished. Sending out an S.O.S., Wilkes draws a rapid deployment team of Marines, and someone else....

The heat is on. First comes a horrific firefight. Then comes a plunge into a drowning pool filled with killer whales. Next comes the hard part as a handful of survivors begin an electrifying red-hot, non-stop battle of survival across the continent and against wave after wave of elite military assassins--who've all come for one thing: a secret buried deep beneath the ice.

I'm looking forward to it. I'll keep you up to date.

I saw an interview with Matthew Reilly recently where he said that he self-published his first book and went to great lengths to make the cover look 'official' by adding a US and Canadian price on the back :welcome: He seems like a genuinely nice, normal person and I think he's done remarkably well for someone so young.

I'd like to check out his work one day but I kind of get put off by the 'blockbuster' tags that his books receive (usually by himself!). Ice Station is one I'm always seeing around the place - I'll look forward to reading your review.

Well, I had trouble sleeping last night and I finished the whole thing.

It was a great book. Reilly really knows how to create a complicated stunning plot.

I enjoyed it AND it had romantic elements in it which made my little romance heart happy. :welcome:

I love how he incorporated female Marines in this and the backstory of his main character is BRILLIANT.

I have to say he's one author that surprises me. I've got another Reilly "Area 7". At this rate, I won't have anything to read!