Goodreads

Fionen, I accepted :lol: By the way, I found BCF group thanks to you! How come I never realised there could be a group for us in there?

I just love the place. It's the easiest way to tell the exact number of books TBR and so on and so on.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just got a friend request from Alexis Bledel (the actor playing Rory in The Gilmore Girls) and I'm thinking of course it's not really Alexis Bledel herself, just someone pretending to be her and having a laugh. What kinda people do this and think it's funny? :lol:

Is it better than Library Thing then.....I have to say I signed up for Library Thing but I am hardly ever on it. What would make me want to join this one instead? Just wondering :lol:

I wouldn't send a request to me on Goodreads either because I don't use it anymore and have forgotten the login details otherwise I'd delete the account. I do have a new account on there though but as it's linked to my blog (which I'm writing under a pseudonym) I'm not advertising it.

Is it better than Library Thing then.....I have to say I signed up for Library Thing but I am hardly ever on it. What would make me want to join this one instead? Just wondering :lol:

One thing comes to mind: Library Thing allows logging only 200 books for free, after that you must pay x much money (I don't know how often). Goodreads allows adding as many books as you want.

But if you hardly ever use Library Thing, I don't know if there any reason why you would like Goodreads so much more that you would use that much more frequently.

Edited by frankie

Yeah, Library Thing's 200 book limit it also the reason I went with Goodreads.

It's really interesting to see what books I have in common with people. Even if most of mine are on the "to-read" shelf. I noticed that I wasn't the only one to give "A Series of Unfortunate Events" three stars. It was a surprise considering how much hype those books got.

Fionen, I accepted :D By the way, I found BCF group thanks to you! How come I never realised there could be a group for us in there?

I didn't think about it either. I only found it because of Paperplane. :lol:

Edit: Echo and Karen, thanks for letting me know.

Edited by Fionen

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on there. But, honestly, I find it more of a time-snatcher than anything else. Like a lot of other online spots.:friends0: I guess you have to choose where to spend what free time you have: reading or online. Ya know?

I guess you have to choose where to spend what free time you have: reading or online. Ya know?

Don't say that Katherine - they may all leave the forum! :friends0:

I use both GoodReads and LT to keep a record of my books, plus my reviews and thoughts. I don't however, get involved in any of the groups on either site.. I tried for a little while, but didn't really get on with them.

Don't say that Katherine - they may all leave the forum! :D

:D Not a chance, Michelle! :friends0: We all like it here too much, even if our reading does suffer occasionally!

I'm on GoodReads and LT but I keep LT updated more. I've gotten a bit behind in updating my books on GR.

I find both sites very handy for reading reviews, and I receive digest emails from a couple of groups on GoodReads, but I never post myself (it seems a more impersonal group of people than we have here). I belong to a few groups on LT but I never check in on them.

I also hate how you can't edit your books as easily on GR. It's much easier to change the titles on LT and have them looking all nice and neat. Something about the fonts that GR uses has always bothered me. :hug:

No one would leave the BCF!! It's the best book forum on the web -- absolutely!:welcomebcf:

lol I agree, haven't been on for weeks but still think about the posts I am missing and come on as soon as I have a chance:)

LibraryThing is the only other site I use and have been visiting there daily as I am waiting for collections so much. Goodreads I never managed to get into. Is it worth a go do you reckon?

I don't mind goodreads - but I like bookarmy too - it's got loads of authors and others signed up which is pretty cool.

Oh no :irked: I'll probably sign up on this one too just to try it out.

I did finally send an email to LT and they deleted my account because I wasn't using it. I just love trying sites like this. Still like Goodreads the most right now.

The reason I don't like bookarmy so much is that every single book has a 'Buy the Book' link (as well as adverts), which makes it pretty commercial.

Still, LT asks for payment after so many books, and GoodReads has quite a few adverts. (I just hope they're all better at money making than I am! lol)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

How do you follow someone on Goodreads? Is there a button to click or do I just need to 'stalk' them regularly enough? It might seem like a stupid question but I have really no idea about this 'following' thingy. Apparently I have two followers, what does that mean?

That sounds logical, the only problem is that when I was meticulously going through the webpages last night I swear I didn't notice that 'follow reviews' button. I'm gonna take another look right now.

Edit: Ahaa! I think I have figured out the problem. I wanted to follow my friend Kaisa's reviews (because I thought following meant something like automatically getting updates on what she's reading) but since she's already my friend, there's nothing to follow since I get all the details as a friend. So, I can only follow people I haven't befriended. Make sense?

Edited by frankie