Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is Goodreads an American site? I think it might be.. Possibly the majority of members are American. Was one able to nominate their own book of choice as well? Or how do you think they came up with those particular titles... I didn't look if you could nominate your own, I was too peeved :D

Yes it is I think so that's understandable. There's a box at the bottom of each list for you to add your own title .. though I guess it would only feature if it got enough votes from other people. It does rather take the wind out of your sails though when you put a title in .. and they politely tell you to shove off :giggle:

Oh dear... :(  :empathy:   Well, look at some of the titles... I wouldn't want to read them :giggle: The romance section was horrid. I mean the covers only were quite telling. I think we're better off reading what we like. :friends3:

We so are :friends0: 

You mean Bernadette? Who said that :o Or the Donna Tartt book? :o

Poor old Bernadette :(:D .. perhaps she was too old .. I thought I'd read it super quick but, for all I know, it could've been donkey's years old :giggle:

I voted for The Rosie Project mainly because it was the only one I'd read :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:

Yep chalie for guru .. then we might have a chance next year :D 

I think my brain is too easily addled! :D

Oh that must be just a lot of poppycock!

Hey, imagine that :D

Yes it is I think so that's understandable. There's a box at the bottom of each list for you to add your own title .. though I guess it would only feature if it got enough votes from other people. It does rather take the wind out of your sails though when you put a title in .. and they politely tell you to shove off :giggle:

Do they really do that :D

Poor old Bernadette :(:D .. perhaps she was too old .. I thought I'd read it super quick but, for all I know, it could've been donkey's years old :giggle:

Oh that was a 2012 book :o Oooops :D I think it's just impossible to keep up with books these days. To me some book might seem new and then I'll look inside the covers and it'll say it was published in 2004 :blush:

Hm it would be interesting to look into the statistics of the year of publication of the books I read... I wonder if that would be a nice way to spend this sick day... :D

I voted for The Rosie Project mainly because it was the only one I'd read :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:

:D But it was a good book, too? Right? :)

Yep chalie for guru .. then we might have a chance next year :D 

Only if I can make it mandatory that everyone reads Human Traces. :D

The guru has spoken :D

:D Okay, guru has spoken, must read book... And it's absolutely mandatory because guru sent me the book herself... Fancy that! What great customer service from guru...!!! :D I'm looking forward to reading it, it ought to be great :friends3:  Does poppyshake have a copy?

Although, I have to say... If guru's advice and guidelines are to read Human Traces... I don't think that will help us with next year's book awards.... Books published in 2014... :giggle2::D

We&'very done book awards before, and it's not easy to organise. The biggest problem is the amount of nominations, as people read so many different books. If a small group of you want to try to organise something, please go ahead, but I suggest you limit it to a small group.

We&'very done book awards before, and it's not easy to organise. The biggest problem is the amount of nominations, as people read so many different books. If a small group of you want to try to organise something, please go ahead, but I suggest you limit it to a small group.

Yes, I think we'd be getting probably as many books to write down as there were nominators... :D

I also just realised that I've only read the Bridget Jones book, for sure all the others are books that have been published prior to 2013...

I wonder, though, if it would be equally interesting to have book awards for best book read by members on 2013, no matter which year they were published... I know that again the problem would be that people read so different books, but surely we would get a few that had at least two voters... :D Nah, maybe silly.

It'd be great to do our own awards, it'd take some organising though and it's true, we generally read pretty diversely on the forum so I'm not sure how it'd work exactly. I think I've read a couple of books published in 2013, most of the books I read though are generally a bit older.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone else noticed how different the 2014 personal reading challenge widget is? I don't like it at all... It only shows the amount of books you've read, and doesn't say how far behind or how far ahead you are.

And this is petty, but... Blue is my favorite color, but that blue is not nice and I much preferred last year's colors... :blush::D I know, I'm so petty!!

Has anyone else noticed how different the 2014 personal reading challenge widget is? I don't like it at all... It only shows the amount of books you've read, and doesn't say how far behind or how far ahead you are.

And this is petty, but... Blue is my favorite color, but that blue is not nice and I much preferred last year's colors... :blush::D I know, I'm so petty!!

I noticed this the other day and I thought exactly the same! I really enjoyed seeing how ahead I was (wishful thinking I was always behind last year! :P)

I noticed this the other day and I thought exactly the same! I really enjoyed seeing how ahead I was (wishful thinking I was always behind last year! :P)

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one, phew! Haha, the whole of the second half of the year I was behind, too, and by the end with more than 20 books, but I still liked seeing the percentages and stuff! :blush: Not liking this new system at all. I guess it takes time to get used to it.

I kind of like the new one. I guess I would still like to know whether I'm ahead or behind, but I have such a small goal that I can work it out easily for myself. I'm nearly always behind, so in previous years I always got depressed when I saw the stats.

Where are the widgets?  How are they to be used? 

Where are the widgets?  How are they to be used? 

Widgets... I guess there are plenty of them, but I only know about the Reading Challenge thing. And I don't remember how I got started with it... It's this thingy on the right side of the main page, stating 'Reading Challenge' for 2014 and it tells how many books you've read from x amount of books you've set as your goal to read for the year.

Lemme check if I could see where you could get started...

Edit: I'm not sure, but you could try this: Go to goodreads and look me up in your friends list and click on me and go see my page. On the right side, when scrolling down, you should see this blue square thingy saying 'reading challenge'. Try clicking on it and see if it suggests you set your own target...?

Edit2: If you click on the headline 'Reading challenges', that is. That should do it!

Edited by frankie