Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to Goodreads! And thanks for adding me as a friend. :lol: I have to say that one of the things I love about buying new books is cataloguing them on Goodreads and LibraryThing (I prefer LT's layout of books, and I prefer Goodreads groups and friend updates).

In fact, after the 3-day bookfair I have coming up, I've applied for an extra day off work so I can spend the whole day cataloguing and shelving my books. :lol:

I've added some of my past reviews to Goodreads recently, and I'll add more as time goes by. It takes so long to get everything perfect but I really love it! And I love going in everyday and updating the page status of the books I'm reading so I can watch the progress bar creep forward. :motz:

In fact, after the 3-day bookfair I have coming up, I've applied for an extra day off work so I can spend the whole day cataloguing and shelving my books. :lol:

Nice! :lol:

There are other cool activities as well, I for one like to compare my novels with other people's, it tells how many books we have in common and how similar a taste we have in books. I also like finding other Finns that are online at the moment and see what they're reading.

Once I did this "people near me" thing and I found a whole list of Finnish users, and it was listed by how many books people have in their bookshelf (added in their library, either 'read', 'currently-reading' or 'to-be-read') and I was like the seventh or eight on the list :motz: That was quite something. Spooky!

I'm surprised you're not first on the list Frankie!

My statistics often come out well when compared to other Australian users (there mustn't be many of us). I was #2 reviewer recently when I was going through my old BCF posts and copying my reviews across.

I joined yesterday but I have so many books to add as read I haven't even contemplated the TBR pile I want. :lol:

Ditto!

Is there a limit to the number of books one can add without paying? I think LibraryThing only allows something like 100 free - is this the same?

As far as I know you don't have to pay at all. I have 219 books on mine and haven't seen a single link or pop-up about any kind of paid memberships or anything like that. :lol:

Hope you both are liking it so far!

Well I have added about 450 books and those are the ones I could remember sat in the lounge yesterday and so far nothing has come up, I am wodering whether its better to add all the books I have, then add in my reviews (those I can be bothered with) and then add top my TBR pile....hmmm this will take some time and thought

Ditto!

Is there a limit to the number of books one can add without paying? I think LibraryThing only allows something like 100 free - is this the same?

You are going to have so much fun putting all your books on the shelves Janet:) .. silly things like finding the right cover amused me for hours. I don't think you have to pay at 'Goodreads' I've got over 400 on there.. and I have about 140 or so books on LibraryThing and they haven't asked for any payment yet .. perhaps they will though and I'll have to take it down to 100

You are going to have so much fun putting all your books on the shelves Janet:) .. silly things like finding the right cover amused me for hours.

I've finished 2006 and completed 2007 so far today! I couldn't find all the covers (I buy most of my books second-hand) but have found the majority of them. I've been revisiting my reviews from my LJ and that's been fun! :lol:

I was happy to see Bonnie there :D

A few questions: How much does it pay to add more than 200 books in LT, and is it a one-time payment or an annual one?

Also: How can I check out if a friend of mine on GR has read a certain book, or whether s/he has it on their TBR pile?

On goodreads, if you go to the page of a book, and scroll down past the 'my review' section there's a 'friend review' section and it shows who's got the book and their review if they've put one on there :lol:

Ah! Excellent! Thanks lexie :D Just to be sure though: the page says that none of my friends has reviewed it, does that mean that they haven't actually written a review of it, or that they haven't read the book as well?

You're up early btw. Or rather late :D

A few questions: How much does it pay to add more than 200 books in LT, and is it a one-time payment or an annual one?

You can do a one-year membership for US$10 or a lifetime membership for US$25. I wonder what happens after one year is up and you don't renew it? Do some of your books disappear? :D

You can do a one-year membership for US$10 or a lifetime membership for US$25. I wonder what happens after one year is up and you don't renew it? Do some of your books disappear? :D

:lol: That would be very rude! I hope they'll disappear only virtually if at all, though.

Hmph, I don't know if LT is worth the effort or the money...

No, they send you to room 101 where the rats eat books!