Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I fully agree! I hadn't made the connection, but my brain does tend to 'have too many tabs open'. If there are too many though, my head gets full and I get stressed, so I tend to make lots of lists to help me cope with all the things I have to think about / have to do.

• 1 month later...

I remember complaining about the blue color on last year's reading challenge widget, so I thought I'd mention that this year I like the new color :) If one's willing to complain, one should be willing to compliment as well, if there's ever any cause! 

If one's willing to complain, one should be willing to compliment as well, if there's ever any cause!

I haven't seen the new colour yet, but I fully agree with this statement!

I have to say, I quite like being a librarian. So far, I've made some corrections and added some editions of books I own but that weren't on GoodReads.

I love that Goodreads doesn't remind you of your 'failures'. On my page, I can see my 2012 and 2014 challenges, but not my 2011 and 2013 (which I failed). Hmm, I don't seem to have much luck during odd-numbered years. I'll have to break that curse in 2015!

I love that Goodreads doesn't remind you of your 'failures'. On my page, I can see my 2012 and 2014 challenges, but not my 2011 and 2013 (which I failed). Hmm, I don't seem to have much luck during odd-numbered years. I'll have to break that curse in 2015!

Do you mean when you fail the reading challenges, i.e. read fewer books than you wanted to? That's odd, because I have a link to all my challenges, the failed ones, too. Why are they treating your more nicely than me! :unsure: 

:lol: :lol: 

Good luck with the current odd year  :readingtwo:

I remember complaining about the blue color on last year's reading challenge widget, so I thought I'd mention that this year I like the new color :) If one's willing to complain, one should be willing to compliment as well, if there's ever any cause! 

I love purple, maybe it's a sign this year I'll complete the challenge! 

I love purple, maybe it's a sign this year I'll complete the challenge! 

Here's hoping it is! Good luck with this year! :smile2: 

I was so rubbish last year at reading. I was trying to read book that didn't hold me.

Maybe this year will be better for you, too. Let's hope so!  :friends3:

I've pretty much put every book I own on GoodReads, total is currently 356 - which I thought would actually be closer to 500. Next big task is to add my wish-list books...

I've pretty much put every book I own on GoodReads, total is currently 356 - which I thought would actually be closer to 500. Next big task is to add my wish-list books...

Good luck! I've made 'wishlist' an exclusive shelf, so the wishlist books cannot be "Want to Read" or "Read" or "Currently Reading", though I don't know if this is how most people do it or not.

Good luck! I've made 'wishlist' an exclusive shelf, so the wishlist books cannot be "Want to Read" or "Read" or "Currently Reading", though I don't know if this is how most people do it or not.

Mines set that way. :)

I've been listing bought books on my "want to read" shelf.....then I received a notice from GR that a book on that shelf was available to buy.  Oy. 

I posted on their GoodReads Feedback group asking about it.  They told me that "want to read" did not mean "owned" books.  grrrr

Darned if I'm re-shelving.  Just ain't a'gonna do it.  It'll have to stand as it is. 

Most of the posters were really nice, but there is always one in the bunch..... :P   :giggle2:

Goodreads should never have changed that label to 'want to read'; it's too confusing. There should be a distinction between books on your TBR pile and books on your wishlist. Their label incorporates both.

I fully agree! For me "Want to Read" means on my TBR, it means owned books I want to read. If it's a library book, I shelf it as library-loan. It is certainly confusing, to be honest! I also don't like how, when I own a book, I have to edit my review and tick the 'I own a copy of this book' box every single time I put in a new purchase to GoodReads. I wish I could set it as default or that I could batch edit do that or something.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to use the "Want to Read" as more of a wishlist. But I also own a lot less books than all of you that have commented. I only own around 100 or less and a lot of those are books that I've already read, so it's a lot easier for me to use the "Want to Read" as a wishlist and something I can pull up when I am looking for books to check out from the library. 

However if they did have two different labels, TBR and wishlist, I wouldn't be opposed to using those and being a little more organized. 

Hmm I use "want to read" as books I want to read some day, not as books I own and want to read.. There are many books I want to read but don't own (yet). Might take years for me to gt around to them but it's a nice way of having a list to simply add books to that seem interesting.

As for you that add books to goodreads that you physically own, as in real books not ebooks, do you guys know you can scan the barcode/isbn code with the camera on your smartphone and that the app looks em up and adds them? Revelation for me hehe, didnt have a smartphone till like three years ago and didnt find out about the app till about one year back. No more adding books by hand, yay!

I didn't know that! I normally type the ISBN into the GoodReads search bar on the computer. I never add books using my phone as the app doesn't seem to have an option to select a specific edition on the phone. Most of the time the default edition is not the one I have.

Hah, finally am abjle to reply, the windows surface tablet usually wont let me post here, weird thing.

But when scanning your books with the app i think it automatically picks the right edition. Try it, just look for scan. ;)

Oh, I have no idea why that would be :(.

I'll try it some time, thanks :)!

Hehe, don;t know why it does that either. Is actually brother's tablet but he doesn't use it so heck.. don't do much surfing on my laptop anymore but is annoying the tablet rarely lets me post, just don't get the cursor thingie into the typing spot.. *sigh*

• 4 weeks later...

You could copy the link to your profile page here, and then we can send you friend requests from here. Or you could go through the previous pages in this thread to where other people have linked their profiles and copy their user names or the website address. Here is my profile. You should see an 'add friend' button, or something similar.