Goodreads

You should be able to add a cover, yes. But I think you have to be a GR librarian. Are you one?

This brings up something I've been ranting about (to myself) just recently. I'm always very careful to select the edition with my cover when I add a book to GR. Recently I was going through all of my listed books there to remove a few that I no longer own, and I noticed that a huge number of them have completely different covers to what they had when I first added them. So why do I bother adding one edition when people just go in and apparently change the cover to suit themselves? Grrr! It makes me so annoyed. I'm definitely not going to bother fixing it all again. I'll still update my 'currently reading' and stuff, but I only rely on Book Collectorz now because no one else can change my covers.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You should be able to add a cover, yes. But I think you have to be a GR librarian. Are you one?

This brings up something I've been ranting about (to myself) just recently. I'm always very careful to select the edition with my cover when I add a book to GR. Recently I was going through all of my listed books there to remove a few that I no longer own, and I noticed that a huge number of them have completely different covers to what they had when I first added them. So why do I bother adding one edition when people just go in and apparently change the cover to suit themselves? Grrr! It makes me so annoyed. I'm definitely not going to bother fixing it all again. I'll still update my 'currently reading' and stuff, but I only rely on Book Collectorz now because no one else can change my covers.

Yes .. this has happened to me too .. so annoying because .. these things matter  :blush2: I do change them back .. even if it's futile  :blush2: 

I don't think I am, because I've been wondering what that's about for ages. Of course I want to be, because Imma librarian at heart, always, all days, and in every ways :D How do I become one? 

I managed to add one cover, but then didn't manage with the rest. And I think it's complete BS!!  :banghead:  (The way Bulldog from Frasier would say it!)

Oh that is soooo annoying!! Indeed, what's the big idea in adding a new edition with a specific cover if it all gets messed up in the end when other people change the covers. I don't get it?  :doh:   What's so hard about everyone being able to preserve the covers and editions they've chosen. :rolleyes:

At least you have Book Collectorz, and from what I remember, you really like that place, so that's good :smile2: 

Yes .. this has happened to me too .. so annoying because .. these things matter  :blush2: I do change them back .. even if it's futile  :blush2: 

:D You gotta fight back!  :empathy:  More power to you!

Edited by frankie

This bothers me too! I love Book Collector, it's my main collection. I still update GR but I'm finding it less and less useful and more of a hassle updating it to be honest. The only thing it does have that BC doesn't, is my wishlist (I know you can add things to your wishlist in BC though).

• 3 weeks later...

LOL. Sorry! I did mean to reply to that...

Let me go and have a look now and I'll get back to you. It was pretty easy as I recall (I mean it was easy to be accepted - I just don't remember the actual process).

LOL. Sorry! I did mean to reply to that...

I'm sure you did. And I don't mean that sarcastically :D  :friends3:  Sorry, I just remembered the whole thing and was anxious to get to it :blush::giggle2: 

OK, there is a link at the bottom of this post. You only have to have 50 books...pretty sure you qualify. ;)

And here is the Librarian Manual.

50 books... I might be able to swing it! Thanks for the links darling!  :flowers2:

I know you didn't mean it sarcastically (although it would have been all right if you did, because I deserved it! :))

I always have heaps of tabs open in my browsing window, thinking 'OK, I'll leave that there and get back to it later...' and sometimes I don't or I click the wrong thing and lose my tabs and can't remember what I have open. :( That's my excuse.

I always have heaps of tabs open in my browsing window, thinking 'OK, I'll leave that there and get back to it later...' and sometimes I don't or I click the wrong thing and lose my tabs and can't remember what I have open. :( That's my excuse.

This!  I do this all the time.  It's a very bad habit but I can't help myself!

This!  I do this all the time.  It's a very bad habit but I can't help myself!

Oh, now I get it! I used to do that, too, I think. But then I got this new laptop and it's sometimes ultra sensitive to the touch and / or I'm getting clumsier at my older ages and stages, and I just manage to close tabs by accident and so I guess I've stopped doing it, at least with BCF. 

Oh, and I got my librarian status notice yesterday, I'm officially a Goodreads Librarian now :exc: The power! The privilege! The Power! The responsibility. The POWER!! :cool: 

Oh, and I got my librarian status notice yesterday, I'm officially a Goodreads Librarian now :exc: The power! The privilege! The Power! The responsibility. The POWER!! :cool:

Congratulations! It has me wondering if I should become one too, there is so much incorrect or missing information on GR, such as for some Dutch books.

Yay, Frankie! Congrats! Although I'm a little concerned that you've already become mad with power. :P You've now been a librarian in both the real world and the virtual world. :)

I keep trying to tone down my usage of tabs, but it keeps happening! I accidentally closed them all again last night, so when I started again, with just one tab, I promised myself I'd keep it under control. A few hours later, I have 12 tabs open. <sigh>

It sounds like Goodreads needs you, Athena! I recommend becoming a librarian. I think you would be a great asset, especially for Dutch books. :)

Yay, Frankie! Congrats! Although I'm a little concerned that you've already become mad with power. :P You've now been a librarian in both the real world and the virtual world. :)

Say what? Power? Yes, I have it! You want it? You can't have any of mine :cool:

I keep trying to tone down my usage of tabs, but it keeps happening! I accidentally closed them all again last night, so when I started again, with just one tab, I promised myself I'd keep it under control. A few hours later, I have 12 tabs open. <sigh>

Ouch! Fool you once, shame on tabs. Fool you twice.... ! :giggle2: 

:empathy:

It sounds like Goodreads needs you, Athena! I recommend becoming a librarian. I think you would be a great asset, especially for Dutch books. :)

I always use a lot of tabs too :blush2:, not just for this forum but also for other websites that I use sometimes.

Thanks Kylie :), I will look into it :readingtwo:!

Congrats, Athena. :)

Yay, hooray!  Good for you, Gaia!    :cool:   What will your duties entail?

Thanks, both of you :)! Well I'm hoping to add missing information or change inaccurate information of books, particularly Dutch ones. A lot of the information on English books on GoodReads are correct, though by far not all of them. But a lot of (original) Dutch ones have missing information, such as page numbers, ISBNs, publishers, series name, and more. Sometimes there are many editions missing or cover images are missing. So I hope to make GoodReads more correct this way :). I haven't yet tried to do anything as I've been busy this morning with my appointment. But I look forward to make things more correct :).