Goodreads

I think you meant 'GR' to be 'BCF'? That last bit didn't totally make sense to me :unsure:.

10 years is a long time for a website or online technology, though I do feel like GoodReads has been around for quite a while. Happy anniversary to GoodReads! Apparently I joined in November 2010, but it wasn't until June 2012 that I started to keep track of what I read when and I started to really use the website.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 9.9.2017 at 7:42 AM, Athena said:

I think you meant 'GR' to be 'BCF'? That last bit didn't totally make sense to me :unsure:.

Oh yes, I meant BCF :D   Sorry for the confusion! :D

On 12.9.2017 at 1:03 PM, Nollaig said:

it's funny, I don't remember Goodreads ever NOT being there, even though I've only taken to it in the last couple of years. But I was apparently already 19 when it was created - I find that bizzare!

I know what you mean, I can't remember the website ever not being there. And I was older than you when I joined! 

I hope it'll always be there and not change too much :)

• 3 months later...
On 12/15/2017 at 9:56 AM, Lau_Lou said:

Why is GoodReads being weird again? I personally have my read shelf on “date read” descending. So the latest book is at the top. But I have noticed it is putting my most recent read books in a completely random order. 

Yes, I've noticed that too! I signed up to use LibraryThing, but have no idea how it works. 

On 16/12/2017 at 3:03 PM, karen.d said:

Yes, I've noticed that too! I signed up to use LibraryThing, but have no idea how it works. 

No idea how LT works, or GR works?  I must admit, I went over to LT some years ago as could not get on with the way GR works.  I still go back to GR for discussions etc, which are better, but for cataloguing my books, LT is IMO head and shoulders better.  That may be out of date now, but every time I think of trying GR again, somebody complains about more changes!

Edited by willoyd

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Onion Budgie said:

I won a Goodreads giveaway today -- I'm genuinely astonished!  The Last of the Greenwoods by Clare Morrall.  It sounds interesting.

With the number of entries their giveaways always attract, I never thought I'd win anything, ever!

Congratulations! I wasn't even aware that they did a giveaway.

2 hours ago, Onion Budgie said:

Thank you! 

@karen.d They have dozens every day.  When you're logged in, just click the "Browse" downbar, and then "Giveaways", and it'll take you straight to them.  You can filter to preference, if you want. 

Thanks! Enjoy the book you won

• 3 months later...

I have been having troubles logging onto GoodReads recently. As when I usually sign in it already shows my email and password saved so I just literally have to press “sign in” it did not allow that the other day. However as I hadn’t physically put my password in for so long I forgot what it was. Then proceeded to change it which it allowed me to do successfully until I came to sign in again then for it to say “we do not recognise that combination.” I finally get in and now I am trying again and having the same problems. I have sent an email again to myself for resetting but haven’t received it. 

It is 447AM and I should be asleep! But I can’t and it’s frustrating me. 

Awww, that sounds frustrating :(. I haven't had any problems logging in, but I always put it my GR password manually on the website (and because I type it in often I don't forget it, unlike some other websites I don't use often). I hope you can log back into your account soon and figure it out :(.

I have been having problems with GoodReads in a different way. I was marking most of my library loans as read yesterday, and added reading dates read and such (start and finish), and for most of them it said I had read them 2 or 3 times, after editing them. It was a hassle trying to get it to save that I'd only read them once, as even though I removed the extra 'dates' (which were empty), they kept coming back even though I pressed save. In order to fix it, I had to set everything back to 'to-read', and then save, then edit and rate the book in the review before I pressed anything else (ie. from to-read to read), then mark it as read and add the date (started and finished). That didn't always fix it, sometimes I had to try it a couple of times before it stuck. It was kind of frustrating but I think I managed to fix all the books.

I have thank you :) it was frustrating but seems okay at the moment.

I think I know what you mean with that. In fact I had it for one book I read the other day. It said I had read it twice. I do not know if you have also noticed that it somehow adds books as read that you haven’t? 

In other news my to read shelf was becoming increasingly getting larger so I have had a tidy up and deleted over 600 books from it! Not to say I won’t read those books, just not for it to seem so intimidating. It is now just under 1000 books so still a lot. 

On 4/20/2018 at 10:56 PM, Lau_Lou said:

I have thank you :) it was frustrating but seems okay at the moment.

I'm glad it seems okay at the moment :).

I think I know what you mean with that. In fact I had it for one book I read the other day. It said I had read it twice. I do not know if you have also noticed that it somehow adds books as read that you haven’t? 

Yes, that's happened to me too!

In other news my to read shelf was becoming increasingly getting larger so I have had a tidy up and deleted over 600 books from it! Not to say I won’t read those books, just not for it to seem so intimidating. It is now just under 1000 books so still a lot. 

Wow, well done :)!

I should go through my shelves as well some time maybe, but I have a lot of books on my various GoodReads (including various wishlists), so it just seems like a daunting task, and it doesn't bother me too much that those books are on there, even if I've lost interest in some.

• 1 month later...
On 23/04/2018 at 8:41 AM, Athena said:

I'm glad it seems okay at the moment :).

Yes, that's happened to me too!

Wow, well done :)!

I should go through my shelves as well some time maybe, but I have a lot of books on my various GoodReads (including various wishlists), so it just seems like a daunting task, and it doesn't bother me too much that those books are on there, even if I've lost interest in some.

I have decided to add more shelves. I find this easier to locate books I want to. Such as five star books etc. 

I do think we should embrace our tbr. 

I don't keep my wishlist books on Goodreads—only books I actually own. My shelves are so out of date though. I'm sure there are books on there that I long since got rid of, and many hundreds more that I've never added. 😕

15 hours ago, Lau_Lou said:

I have just added a book as read, and if I search for it, it says I have read it. However it is not on my read shelf nor been added to my challenge.  Hmm? Is this the problem that they say people have been having? 

It's only added to your 2018 reading challenge, if you put the reading year as 2018. If you've left it blank, it won't count for your 2018 challenge as GoodReads then doesn't know what year you've read the book. I don't know why it's not on your 'Read' shelf though!

I see it did that :) I tried to add it as 2018 but it’s still not taking it. I think it’s happening across the website though. I’m hoping they will be able to fix it. 

I had a look and it actually is on my read shelf, I just assumed it wasn’t because i have mine in ‘date read’ order and it wasn’t at the top. I’ll leave it for a bit and hopefully it’ll correct soon.

9 hours ago, Athena said:

I hope they will be able to fix it too :(. I haven't added any books on GoodReads in the past few days. I hope they fix it soon! I'm glad the book is on your read shelf at least :).

I deleted the book and added it back on. Seems to have worked now :)