Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can also check this link out, it's a thread for people's usernames on different book sites. If you want to see if a particular person has given their information and want to send that person a friend request :)

Oh and if you wish, you can also write in that thread to let people know what your username is! :)

Edited by frankie

• 9 months later...

There have been some changes on Goodreads lately. In the formatting and the font and stuff like that. How are you liking their new 'look'? I like the new font, it's refreshing, but when I was adding a new read book, the general format for that was a bit different from the usual. Nothing drastic, it was just the general outlook. I felt like I had to pay extra attention to get all the details right. Given time, I think I'll like the new changes just fine. But I was wondering how you guys feel about them. Is there anything extra that you've discovered, or something that really annoys you? Or something you think is a great change? 

The new font is too small, thin and faint!  At least, it is for Chrome, and they don't seem to have applied a fix that works for it yet.  I can increase the magnification, so it's not too much of a problem for me personally, although it's a little blurry, but the changes are causing eyestrain and headaches for a LOT of people.  :(

I like how they have improved the smartphone app so you can now choose different editions of books, saves me having to go onto my laptop to enter new books.

Was that something that was only available for the laptop/computer users before this update? I've only just started my years as a smartphone user so I haven't yet figured out what's different :D

The new font is too small, thin and faint!  At least, it is for Chrome, and they don't seem to have applied a fix that works for it yet.  I can increase the magnification, so it's not too much of a problem for me personally, although it's a little blurry, but the changes are causing eyestrain and headaches for a LOT of people.   :(

I'm sorry to hear that :( I personally like the font but I can imagine how problematic it can be for others in this respect, as you've now demonstrated. :(

Edited by frankie

I love the font changes. One of the things I'd always, always hated about Goodreads was the way they use so many different fonts and font sizes. I was taught at school that you should minimise such things because otherwise it looks confusing and messy, and I totally agree. I'm very happy that they've finally made things a little more consistent and easy to read.

I love the font changes. One of the things I'd always, always hated about Goodreads was the way they use so many different fonts and font sizes. I was taught at school that you should minimise such things because otherwise it looks confusing and messy, and I totally agree. I'm very happy that they've finally made things a little more consistent and easy to read.

That's funny and odd, because I never noticed that they used so many different fonts. Usually I do think I'm observant enough to notice these things, but apparently not with Goodreads :D:shrug: Happy to hear you're liking the consistency and the new font :D 

I'm not sure I'm all that keen on the new changes, yet at least. I expect they will grow on me. The font looks a bit blurry for me, so it's a bit awkward on my eyes. I do agree that it is good to use one font across the whole website, that did annoy me a little bit that they didn't. I love that we can choose editions now on the mobile app, that was something that it definitely lacked before. I expect I will become used to the slightly different layout in time, right now I'm sometimes trying to figure out where a certain setting or option is.

Well, sorry to say, but I don't notice that much of a change.....lol.  It does appear to be more uniform and the color of the links kind of irritates me.  Aside from that.....shrugs.  :)  I'm not that into GR, I only post on one of the groups, Constant Reader (as Cateline), the other group I was a member of disbanded and disappeared. 

Hehe, funny that you didn't even notice it that much :D I noticed it immediately :D But then again I'm quick to go to GR when I've finished a book. Same as having to record my latest read here on BCF, in my reading log :) 

I haven't noticed the color of the links, though... off to take a look -> Hm, I'm not quite sure which links you mean? 

I use Goodreads regularly and I didn't notice the change! :giggle2:  I only realised it had changed when I read a long thread of people moaning about the changes. I've just had another look and I guess I can see that the font is clearer to read but really, I can't see much difference...

Was that something that was only available for the laptop/computer users before this update? I've only just started my years as a smartphone user so I haven't yet figured out what's different :D

As far as I am aware it is a new thing, a bonus for me as I use my phone more than my laptop, although I'm now going to have to check the editions of all the other books I have added, and there are a fair few!! :D

Hehe, funny that you didn't even notice it that much :D I noticed it immediately :D But then again I'm quick to go to GR when I've finished a book. Same as having to record my latest read here on BCF, in my reading log :)

I haven't noticed the color of the links, though... off to take a look -> Hm, I'm not quite sure which links you mean? 

Any link one might post, also on the threads, on each individual post there is a "reply", "edit", or "delete" link to click for those items.  The name of the group you are visiting, stuff like that.  It's a peculiar shade of teal/greenish.

Any link one might post, also on the threads, on each individual post there is a "reply", "edit", or "delete" link to click for those items.  The name of the group you are visiting, stuff like that.  It's a peculiar shade of teal/greenish.

Ah, I now know what you mean. I didn't make the connection before because personally I like that color very much :D Thanks for teaching me the word 'teal', I never knew the term. I'm very bad at the names of different shades of different colors, even in Finnish. :D 

I actually love Goodreads! I use it quite often - usually to find recommendations or ratings. I really like setting my reading challenge on there because after the new year, it shows you all your stats from the previous year! I didn't make my reading goal of 50 this year due to school, but I hope to make my reading goal this year! 

I belong for much the same reason - to read reviews of books I've read or might want to read because there is such a  huge range covered. 

Do people here know about www.fantasticfiction? I use this site all the time as it lists alphabetically almost every author you can think of and gives their books in the order they were written with dates as well a synopsis.  It's very useful for finding the order of books if you want to start reading a series or to see if a particular author has written anything new.

Do people here know about www.fantasticfiction? I use this site all the time as it lists alphabetically almost every author you can think of and gives their books in the order they were written with dates as well a synopsis.  It's very useful for finding the order of books if you want to start reading a series or to see if a particular author has written anything new.

I've heard of that site. I usually use Wikipedia or GoodReads for the same purpose, myself.