Goodreads

My Goodreads widget is working and because I put I'd read 50 books, it now says I'm 3 ahead. It'll depend on how many readathons I take part in as to wether I get to near 80 again.

I've just amended it to 60 and it says 4 books ahead.

Edited by dex

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

What? You mean Goodreads actually listened to its users and took on board their feedback?! First time for everything, I guess. :P

Yes, it does seem that way, doesn't it :o :O :lol:

Yes! So pleased its back! (Although it does tell me I'm already one book behind schedule! rats!) :P

Well I hope you showed him who's who and got back on track! :D

• 1 month later...

I use Goodreads a lot to track my to-read list as well as books I'm currently reading. I've stopped looking at reviews before I read a book now though, because I've found myself disagreeing with the reviews a lot of the time. I guess I'd rather read a book with a clear perspective before looking at what other people have to say.

It's a great community though - bookworms unite. :D

• 4 months later...

I have only just joined Goodreads after a friend recommended it as a way to track the books I have read and those I wish to read. As I have moved recently and as yet have not unpacked my crates of books I thought it would be a grand idea to list and-or rate my books on Goodreads as I unpacked them.

https://www.goodreads.com/scruffymind

I have only just joined Goodreads after a friend recommended it as a way to track the books I have read and those I wish to read. As I have moved recently and as yet have not unpacked my crates of books I thought it would be a grand idea to list and-or rate my books on Goodreads as I unpacked them.

The timing is excellent! :D Have fun with it :) How many books do you think you own, will the task be taking you days/weeks? :)

Oh I love Goodreads. I found it to be one of the best ways to find new books that you haven't yet heard of. They have cool lists for each genre and lots of description and reviews for each book. And once you get real familiar with how to use the site, you tend to use it a lot (Or at least I do). I think it's great!

The timing is excellent! :D Have fun with it :) How many books do you think you own, will the task be taking you days/weeks? :)

It is indeed...most fortuitous!  :D  It'll be a much more productive way to keep track of my books than simply jotting them down in a notebook. I don't have a large collection of books, approximately 650 mayhap? Give or take 10-20. I've been climbing over boxes in my little cottage the last several weeks so I would like to get my collection unpacked asap. However, I fear it may be a slow task as my work takes me away days and sometimes weeks at a time. :mellow:

Good luck unpacking :).

I've added you as a friend on GoodReads.

As have I :)

Thank you both, I found your requests when I logged into my Goodreads. :smile: Hopefully my shelves won't look so sparse for long. I hope to add my first review during the week.

It is indeed...most fortuitous!  :D  It'll be a much more productive way to keep track of my books than simply jotting them down in a notebook. I don't have a large collection of books, approximately 650 mayhap? Give or take 10-20. I've been climbing over boxes in my little cottage the last several weeks so I would like to get my collection unpacked asap. However, I fear it may be a slow task as my work takes me away days and sometimes weeks at a time. :mellow:

A notebook is nice, I love notebooks with book stuff on them, but Goodreads has it's own perks :cool: I would say 650 books is a very good and big collection, no need to be humble! :D 

I hope you get all your book boxes unpacked, they must be feeling abandoned and lonely  :empathy:  Brave little fellas! 

I love using goodreads, because it's an easy way to keep track of the books I have read and the ones I want to read whether I own them or not. It's really great for when I'm not feeling like reading any of the books I own and I check some out from the library. I usually go on goodreads, pick a couple of my want to read books, and then place a hold on them online. 

The internet is a beautiful thing :D

I might have to have another look at Goodreads.  I really like the idea of it, and I was going to join a few years back but I didn't like some of the terms and conditions (can't remember exactly what now, but it was something to do with sharing information, I think), but they've been bought out by Amazon now, so perhaps that's changed.

It's not a perfect site but it's, in my opinion, the best one around. I prefer my Book Collector though for keeping track of my collection. But for seeing what your friends read and all that, GoodReads is good (plus, recommendations and information).

I might have to have another look at Goodreads.  I really like the idea of it, and I was going to join a few years back but I didn't like some of the terms and conditions (can't remember exactly what now, but it was something to do with sharing information, I think), but they've been bought out by Amazon now, so perhaps that's changed.

There's always LibraryThing if you don't like GoodReads. They are similar in many ways but there are things to LT that I personally don't like (like, if you add more than 200 books, you have to pay an annual sum. Not that it's very expensive and not worth it, but I personally like my book cataloguing business to be free of charge). 

Edit: The thing in red is something I am not quite sure about, it's just this vague possible memory of mine. People who use LT would know better! 

Edited by frankie

It was true when I was still using it. I paid for it but not too long after I decided I liked GoodReads better. LibraryThing is nice but I can't seem to add any new books and they don't have any Dutch books. They also only have one edition available and often it's the American one so the covers don't match mine at all (I have more UK than US editions I think). But there's also lots of nice things about it.