Goodreads

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmmm...looks cool, but how many of these sights do we need? I might sign up. I'll let you all know what it's like.:welcome:

Edit: I signed up and tried to import my Shelfari shelf, but it didn't work. I just don't have time to re-enter 350 books onto another website. I canceled my account and I'm just going to stick with LT and Shelfari from now on.

I have to admit I joined too. *blushes* I usually don't do things like this, and for example hated LJ for it's clinical impersonal look. But this one looked nicer. Don't relaly know how or why, but... My username's ii.

Well, I recently closed down my Shelfari account...let's see how this one goes! I'm on there as Kyliel.

I imported my books from LT but some didn't take, which means I'll be needing to go through the entire list :welcome: Oh well, I like playing with these sites!

The thing that gets me with sites like this is that unles you can import your books from some other place, you have to do a ton of work to get it into any decent shape. I mean, I just logged in few books closest to me at the moment to see how it works. The idea of getting even a fraction of my books there is overwhelming! I guess I'm not going to add books in any "unnatural way", but along the way as I read them. But that means my shelf is going to look really sad and pathetic in the mean time... Any ideas?

See, this is where I cleverly decided only to add the books as I read them, that way I'm only having to do one or two at any given time, which takes no time at all, and they can build up gradually. I'm not adding Mount TBR to it as I do occasionally decide I'm no longer interested in a book and get rid of it without reading it, then I have to remember to delete it from the various lists, blah-blah-blah. When you've got 120 books on youTBR pile, it can be a bit daunting to think of adding every single one of them!

As it is, I only had to add a handful as I started from the beginning of this year. :welcome:

• 1 month later...

I use goodreads and find it really good. It helps you find other people that are interested in the same books as you and you can join loads of groups to discuss what you love. The way I added all my books was by searching the author and when the list came up I added the books I wanted and edited them after adding all the books. It doesn't take that long and you can find other books by your favourite authors and recommendations for other authors you might like. I have found loads of books that I might like by using the recommendations and looking at other peoples shelfs who have got similar books to you.

• 4 weeks later...

I just joined goodreads tonight, and I've managed to add about 300 of my books, and I've posted up most of my reviews. Whew!! I'm not sure how it works yet, but I'm on there as Sarah, but also my username is Ruis, so I don't know how people will find me! I've added a link to my profile to my signature. Please feel free to add me as a friend!

Welcome, friend! I'm very slowly working my way through my books and comparing to LibraryThing to see which ones I'm missing. Then I have to sort them and add reviews/ratings. A lot of work to do but I love it!

The only problem I have with GoodReads is that you can't edit the book titles and covers like you can in LT.

I know, that's what I don't like, also. But I have decided not to care about things like that, because I've got my LibraryThing catalog all accurate and perfect, so I don't feel like my Goodreads catalog has to be the same way. I also don't have the urge to list every single one of my books, either! I do like the separate shelves.