'Playing with the Moon' by Eliza Graham

Inver

Recommend this one. Blurb.

'Shattered by a recent bereavement, Minna and husband Tom retreat to an isolated village on the Dorset coast, seeking the solitude that will allow them to cope with their loss and rebuild their foundering marriage. Walking on the beach one day, they unearth a human skeleton. It is a discovery which will plunge Minna into a mystery which will consume her for months to come. The remains are soon identified as those of Private Lew Campbell, a black American GI who, it seems, drowned during a wartime exercise in the area half a century before.Growing increasingly preoccupied with the dead soldier's fate, Minna befriends a melancholy elderly woman, Felix, who lived in the village during the war. As Minna coaxes Felix's story from her, it becomes clear that the old woman knows more about the dead GI than she initially let on. "Playing with the Moon" is an unforgettable novel about memory and loss, about the legacy of war, and the need to reconcile ourselves to our past in order to live with the present.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Inver, overall was it a downer? ( just curious ) Sounds like A LOT of heavy subject matter. THX!

No it wasn't at all. I loved all the characters.

Glad others have enjoyed it. Nice to get a positive feedback for a book I enjoyed

Escape by Carolyn Jessop. Not my normal type of read (that's the good thing about Bookclubs!) and the print is very small, but it sounds better than this usual type of book.

Incidentally, I looked up the song quoted in Playing With The Moon - it comes from a song called 'My Curly Headed Baby' but the real lyrics

Would you like the stars to play with

Or the Moon to run away with...

Edited by Janet