Judge a book by its cover

Michelle

I do tend to judge a book by its cover when I am just browsing in a bookshop, especially large shops such as Waterstones. There are so many books that I usually just pick up the books with covers or titles that look or sound interesting and a bit different from most books. A bad cover would not put me off buying a book if it seemed to be a good read - but I will always look around just to see if there is a different and better cover, though.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I do judge by the cover. I want my classics to look smart, and chick-lit girly, and so on. I think the funnies example about random judging is a girlfriend of mine, who drops a book, any book, no matter how good, if someone in it is wearing a navy blue suit. She just hates them, so she refuses to read about them. That's hilarious!

I do judge by the cover. I want my classics to look smart, and chick-lit girly, and so on. I think the funnies example about random judging is a girlfriend of mine, who drops a book, any book, no matter how good, if someone in it is wearing a navy blue suit. She just hates them, so she refuses to read about them. That's hilarious!

I dunno, a navy blue suit can look pretty sharp. Just add color to it. Maybe some yellows or layer with a vest of a matching color :lol:

I dunno, a navy blue suit can look pretty sharp. Just add color to it. Maybe some yellows or layer with a vest of a matching color :lol:

Well, for guys, maybe. And it's not me, it's her. Oh and just a side note, the Finn in me refuses to mix dark(-ish) blue with yellow. Too Swedish.

Unless I'm looking for a specific book that has been recommended to me, the cover has everything to do with whether I pick a book up and check it out. It's only after the cover has attracted me to it that I'll even bother looking at what it's about, and what kind of comments have been made about it on the book jacket.

The title of a book is pretty darned important too.

If that doesn't compel me to purchase it then and there, I'll go home and check what people are saying about it on the 'net. Sometimes that clinches the purchase, and sometimes it makes me decide to give it a pass.

The title of a book is pretty darned important too.

I agree - if I'm browsing for books by unfamiliar authors, it's the title that catches my eye first. Reading the blurb and then looking at a random page or two to gauge writing style will decide whether I buy or not. To be honest, the cover doesn't really come into it. Whilst a nice cover is good to have, a terrible one won't stop me from buying.

As I've already said, I always know what books I'm looking for so I never have any need to just browse and look at covers, but after reading this thread, I feel like going out and browsing for random books and buying one by an unheard-of author based solely on the cover! I think I'll wait until I get my TBR pile down a bit first. :lol:

I sometimes find myself attracted by an interesting cover, and repelled by something gaudy or ugly. But my choice when buying a book really depends on if I think I'll like reading it. I always read the blurbs and figure it out that way.

Guest fireball

Another question to ask too is, "Have covers given wrong impressions" of book/s, never mind about the actually story.!

Just How many of you were put off by covers, and when it's reprinted in paperback, you vaguely remember the book's title but pick the book up and read the blurb and bells start ringing in your head, and you think damn this is good read, and then the penny drops you HAVE heard of it, you've just looked inside the page that gives it's printing history bit. :D

I mentioned on this thread, that I DON'T judge a book by it's cover, which is true, as too is it not the deciding factor in purchasing said.

The thing I liked about the Harry Potter books the 'childrens' cover version, was it DID have scene from one or other of the chapters in the book, and seeing 'adult' version didn't HAVE of sorts, the same, well, clout! really.

So I was wondering WHY in adult books don't they do the same on adult books. Either have painting or photo on front&back cover depicting a scene from anyone of the chapters in the book.

At least it WOULD be a change from seeing a woman with clothes she nearly has on.! :lol: Whether you know the author/ess or not.

As I've already said, I always know what books I'm looking for so I never have any need to just browse and look at covers, but after reading this thread, I feel like going out and browsing for random books and buying one by an unheard-of author based solely on the cover! I think I'll wait until I get my TBR pile down a bit first. :lol:

LOL I love browsing for random books. I take a good hour going through all the shelves and looking at books. I love discovering new authors and I have found some really good gems. You should try it. Just grab a coffee and explore :D

• 2 months later...

Do you judge a book by its cover? If i like a book i buy the same book but in different versions of the front cover(only if they are nice though) Some front covers do put me off buying the book but something like catcher in the rye is very plain but i didnt let it put me off. I am trying to fin d the oldest version of the front cover of "catcher in the rye"

One of my favourite front covers is the pink version of fight club. i'll have a think of somme more.

I am so guilty of judging a book by it's cover, but I have noticed that my judging hasn't failed me yet. I have not picked up one book that I have not enjoyed. I grab books that look "southern" to me or look "antebellum" or I don't know just different. I picked up a book titled Cover the Butter and sped through it in about 2 1/2 days. I've been having a good time scavaging through the library for new tresures. The last time I left I checked out 11 books...next one I finish I'll post a review on it...

i remember being in Borders one day and suddenly 'being aware' of book cover colours on the shelves. Surprising how many reds, blues and blacks. Was aware that while browsing i'm often drawn to yellow because it seems to leap out from the shelf. Does the colour of the cover influence anyone else?!!!

• 6 months later...

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but I wondered how much you are influenced by the cover of a book. It occurred to me that I was maybe a bit shallow as I tend to be very swayed by a nice cover - for example, I only bought my latest read as I loved the pretty cover and now I can't wait to finish the book so I can get onto something else.

I also bought a second copy of Tess of the D'Urbervilles because I didn't like the cover on the first one. The second one definitely made me want to read more.

Jules

This is a very interesting question. I am definitely swayed by covers, on authors I have never heard of before as it's the only way I am tempted to pick up a book in a shop when there are thousends to choose from.

As for authors I know I am less swayed by cover, as I know the contents will be to my taste.

I buy a lot of books on line or swap on book mooch but if I do go in a book shop I'm afraid I'm definately drawn to the nice covers! The blurb is more important once I've picked it up though. I own a lot of cookery books and a great looking cookery book with gorgeous pictures will definately persuade me (even if I only read it in bed!)

I rely on recommendations from friends, or for example what is said about a book on forums such as this. I also have a couple of trusted librarians in my local library who give their own opinion on books, and also point out books I might like. That being said, on a random tour in the bookshop, it's the cover that makes me pick up the book.