Judge a book by its cover

Michelle

I know this is going to sound terribly shalow, but I usually don't even pick up books that look like these tacky/trashy novels you see on sale at gas stations. I don't get interested in a book unless it looks like something I wouldn't mind reading in public. Of course there are exceptions, sometimes the author is familiar or the title is just too good to pass up. Then they get to closer inspection.

I guess in general the cover doesn't matter if you're looking for something specific, a certain book or even a certain author. But if you're just looking for something interesting and new, just browsing, then the cover needs to look tempting.

Have you noticed how there's rarely a detective/crime story with a pale/light cover? They're always dark and gloomy.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this is going to sound terribly shallow, but I usually don't even pick up books that look like these tacky/trashy novels you see on sale at gas stations. I don't get interested in a book unless it looks like something I wouldn't mind reading in public. Of course there are exceptions, sometimes the author is familiar or the title is just too good to pass up. Then they get to closer inspection.

Like this one?

I read this book (and I rarely read King) because of it's awesome and kind of trashy vintage cover.

king.jpg

I was in Waterstones last Saturday and saw three different covers for The Colorado Kid - none of them the one you've just posted! There must be a variety of different ones to choose from, which I think is a nice ploy,. as you're more likely to get a cover you like to look at. :lol:

I usually don't even pick up books that look like these tacky/trashy novels you see on sale at gas stations..
I am like-minded for new books, but I am a fan of the older (60s or earlier) sexist, politically incorrect "trashy covers" and have picked up several such books at random in Hay-on-Wye. Many of them were quite good reads, actually.

That "trashy" cover of The Colorado Kid is excellent.

• 1 month later...

It is a classic saying and it has a good meaning if you apply it to people. However, when it comes to books do you judge? What makes you pick up the book and what makes you want to read it. Everyone has a favorite author and they tend to lean towards their new books just based on name, but I'm talking browsing through aisles of the book stores what makes you pick up the book?

Guest fireball

Damn, now that's a question and a half isn't it.?

Myself...partly the writers I follow, and partly what the synopsis is like.

And lastly if, say like, Amazon.co.uk reviewers give mixed views, and I'm lucky enough to have choice between hardback and paperback, I'll buy the paperback as a cautionary, and IF I like it a lot I'll buy the hardback later.

But to your question: Do You Judge Books By Their Cover.? absolutely NOT.

To be honest, yes I do. When it comes to fiction I find that books with certain types of covers seem to indicate it is something I would not enjoy, therefore, I avoid it. However, if the blurb or a recommendation indicated that it was something I'd enjoy, I'd give it a go.

I start by looking at the cover and the title, and if something catches my eye I'll look at the blurb and maybe read a page or two.

So basically, I originally judge it by its cover, but I also read a bit to look at font size and stuff; if the font is too big it tends to be a book for younger kids.

I tend to go for specific books that I've heard about from others, or that I'm expecting to be out (with certain authors I eagerly await new releases). I do, however, browse when I have nothing specific in mind and do find myself drawn to books with interesting covers. If a cover grabs my attention, I'll have a read of the blurb on the back. If the blurb interests me, I'll buy it.

I suppose covers do play a part in my choices, but then again, if I'm after a book, the cover doesn't matter much. For example, I HATE the Josh Kirby covers on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (I think them particularly grotesque and sickening to look at with those hideous, bulbous little creatures tumbling all over the place), but I still have the entire collection on my shelves. (I adore the Paul Kidby covers though - they're just gorgeous!).

I HATE the Josh Kirby covers on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (I think them particularly grotesque and sickening to look at with those hideous, bulbous little creatures tumbling all over the place), but I still have the entire collection on my shelves. (I adore the Paul Kidby covers though - they're just gorgeous!).

Lol - I'm exactly the opposite Kell! I don't much care for the Kidby ones, but I love the Josh Kirby ones! To me they're colourful, frenetic and fun, just like Discworld and its inhabitants. :)

If its a by an author that I like or am familiar with I read the blurb and if thats ok, I will buy it. The cover just doesnt come into it with me. With hard backs, though, I do try to find the author, usually inside the backflap to look at the photo if there is one, or to read their biography.

Lol - I'm exactly the opposite Kell! I don't much care for the Kidby ones, but I love the Josh Kirby ones! To me they're colourful, frenetic and fun, just like Discworld and its inhabitants. :lol:

I'm the same as you, Mia. I also love the Kirby cartoon covers. The Kidby ones are nice as well, but I prefer the original Discworld style.

I'm not really one for browsing random books. There are so many books I know of that I want to get that I don't have any inclination to browse other books. I usually head straight to the classics section and look at the different editions, which can vary in price a lot. I often go for the cheaper edition (if there is one!), although if the cheaper book has a really hideous cover, I don't mind paying extra to get a nicer one. I can't really think of any instances where that has happened though.

Covers attract me, as do titles. You can tell a lot about a book by its cover but I always read the blurb to find out if I'll like it. I don't have a good attention span at times so i think I would never have looked at different sorts of books if I had never come on this forum.

I suppose covers do play a part in my choices, but then again, if I'm after a book, the cover doesn't matter much. For example, I HATE the Josh Kirby covers on the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett (I think them particularly grotesque and sickening to look at with those hideous, bulbous little creatures tumbling all over the place), but I still have the entire collection on my shelves. (I adore the Paul Kidby covers though - they're just gorgeous!).

Any chance of an example of both type of cover - for the uninitiated amongst us! :lol:

I guess I do judge books by their covers - it's what draws me to books if I'm browsing with nothing in mind.

Also, when I order a book I look for the one that to me is the most aesthetically pleasing. I bought Huck Finn recently and ordered the one with a pretty watercolour on the front - they had one with a plain green cover, and despite the fact that the content was the same, I just didn't fancy the plain one, despite it being cheaper!

Any chance of an example of both type of cover - for the uninitiated amongst us! :lol:

Your wish is my command!

Kidby Cover for Going Postal

Kirby Cover for Lords and Ladies

New Photography Cover for Colour of Magic

I love the Kidby covers and the photography ones, but HATE the Kirby ones.

There are so many factors involved in my picking a new book. I love bookshops and everything they mean. It's wonderful to wander slowly through the book shop waiting for a book to jump out at you and surprise you. Normally it's the cover or the name that makes me pick up the book and read the back cover to see if I like it! Sometimes I just randomly choose a book and read the back cover. I think that most of my reading picks are down to serendipity.

Other factors include and are not limited to: new works by favourite authors, recommendations by friends, reading reviews, seeing books mentioned on a forum such as this, browsing book web sites such as Amazon, listamania on Amazon, and books as presents.

That photographic cover for The Colour of Magic looks very stylish, but I don't know... it just seems wrong somehow for Pratchett. I think the cartoony style of Kirby fits so well with Discworld.

Your wish is my command!

I love the Kidby covers and the photography ones, but HATE the Kirby ones.

Thanks Kell. :lol:

I'd agree with your assessment - although I don't think I've ever seen any 'Kidby' ones in the flesh, so to speak. There are always loads of the 'Kirby' (how confusing!) ones in charity shops.

There are always loads of the 'Kirby' (how confusing!) ones in charity shops.

What are the chances, eh, of Pratchett having two illustrators whose surnames are only different by one letter? Very freaky. I bet that doesn't happen very often.

i actually do judge books by their covers, to start with at least. i'll go to the library and glance over the titles and choose, at first, my book by that. once the title has got my attention, i look at the cover, if that holds my intrest, i'll read the inside flap, or back. if the book sounds good, i get it.:lol: