Judge a book by its cover

Michelle

Recommendations from forums like this has broadened my reading habits, i've found a host of new authors and genres i would never have read before.

I also agree with a lot of you, a good cover does attract enough to make you pick up the book and read the back.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently bought 'The Book of Lost Things' by John Connolly purely because the cover art was really cool and the papercover had a really nice texture to it.

I thought the book was ok but not as good as the cover promised! :)

I wouldn't say I judge a book solely by its cover but I like serial killer and horror as my favourite genres, so chances are, if the cover is pink with little flowers on it, I doubt if its really gonna be that gory! I generally always read the blurb on the back though unless its an author I really love. :)

I usually judge books by their covers, but i've read a few that have been really good and had the most boring covers ever! When i was younger I read a book called 'the golden hour' which had a really old, ochre-type colour cover and i really enjoyed it! and also, I am legend has a really plain cover (pretty much just block green with a bit of red) and it's one of my favourite books =)

I'm a sucker for a good cover.

I also can't help myself in second hand bookshops. I buy anything that looks like if it doesn't get bought soon it may be thrown away, because it makes me feel so sad. There are some amazing pieces of literature sitting in second hand bookshops/charity shops, they need rescuing!!!

Also recommendations from family matter.

I'm the same way. I have a lot of family members that love to read so if I'm looking for something new I ask them first. I trust their taste in books.

If I walk into a bookstore without any recommendations then you can bet I'll gravitate to the books with appealing covers. That's how I found Sabriel by Garth Nix. :lol: I do read what they're about before making the final decision though.

I have been banging on to practically everybody about a book called "Bad Monkeys" by a chap named Matt Ruff. This has the worst cover ever and some dreadful blurb on the back. My friend John (who, incidentally, is the biggest fella I've ever met - he's six foot nine and built like a block of flats) told me to "just read it, you daft :irked:!"

So I did. You wouldn't argue with the man.

This turned out to be an excellent choice, not only for the welfare of my limbs, but also because it is a truly brilliant book. I don't care what books anybody says they like, I defy anyone not to go "Blinking heck, Mac! You're right!"

Check it out. Don't read the blurb. Ignore the cover. Love the book.

Laters, taters. :)

Can someone explain my aversion for hardcovers? I know they're heavier than their paperback counterparts and the dustjackets cause more hassle than they save, but still - surely they can't be so bad that I need to wait an extra year or so to read a book because the very notion of buying a book in hardback irks me? Do I need help?

Can someone explain my aversion for hardcovers? I know they're heavier than their paperback counterparts and the dustjackets cause more hassle than they save, but still - surely they can't be so bad that I need to wait an extra year or so to read a book because the very notion of buying a book in hardback irks me? Do I need help?

:irked: Strange I'm the opposite, If I can get the book in hardback cheap enough I would I love them! I agree the covers are hassle but I hate seeing how much damage I do to my books, hardbacks don't damage as much. Its just a case of each to their own! :)

The only books I've ever bought in hardback form are the latter Harry Potter books because I couldn't bear the thought of seeing spoilers. Oh, and Harry Patch's autobiography because the paperback wasn't out in time for my A level English exam.

I don't like them at all - I can't get comfy to read them in bed for a start!

I was recently forced to buy a few books for an essay in hardback as they are out of print and the paperbacks were either unfindable or stupidly expensive - now they will look all out of place in my neat, OCD shelf... irk, irk, irk!

I am guilty of judging books by their covers. Although I will buy any book (no matter the cover) when it comes to my favourite authors. My habit of wanting to own pretty books have resulted in buying a few novels with beautiful faces, but nothing between the ears... so to speak... I've found, though, that for those of us wanting to own the most eye-catching version of any book, online shopping is best. Bookshops are a treat to visit, but they don't always have a wide variety available when it comes to cover art.

I'm the opposite. I just have to buy my favourite authors in hardback. I cannot walk into a book shop and walk out without one. It is I who is obsessive! Re: Dust jackets. I don't even like damaging them, so I take them off until I've read the ruddy thing and then replace them once I put them back on my shelf. OCD ALERT! OCD ALERT!:):irked:

lol, I remove the dust jackets too usually, but mainly because they annoy me. I wish I hadn't with my copy of Half Blood Prince though because I managed to spill nail varnish down it...I thought about removing it with nail varnish remover but that might spoil the book anyway, and at least the nail varnish is clear so not instantly noticable

I'm the opposite. I just have to buy my favourite authors in hardback. I cannot walk into a book shop and walk out without one. It is I who is obsessive! Re: Dust jackets. I don't even like damaging them, so I take them off until I've read the ruddy thing and then replace them once I put them back on my shelf. OCD ALERT! OCD ALERT!:):irked:

:( I'm the same! I hate damage and hardbacks damage less than paperbacks.

lol, I remove the dust jackets too usually, but mainly because they annoy me. I wish I hadn't with my copy of Half Blood Prince though because I managed to spill nail varnish down it...I thought about removing it with nail varnish remover but that might spoil the book anyway, and at least the nail varnish is clear so not instantly noticable

Phew, glad its only clear nail varnish!

lol, I remove the dust jackets too usually, but mainly because they annoy me.

You see, I feel the urge to do that and throw them away thereafter; only on the way to the bin I get seized by a crippling feeling of guilt at my proposed maiming of the book, and I have to go and put it back in its place, from where it will glare at me evilly and leer, "bwhahahaha I won".

You see, there you are! I can never get rid of my books. It'd be like gnawing one of my arms off! So, it stands to reason, that if I'm going to keep them for all of eternity, then Hardbacks are going to do the job nicely, thank you. Hold on. Someone's at the door. Ooh. Some nice people in white coats want me to go on a trip with them! How lovely!:irked:

• 1 month later...

Me, I buy the book for its author first, to me the one who has written becomes my companion oui, my cherished friend and I enter his or her world. So I am pretty selective.

Then next, I am always looking for first or second editions and if they are worn or torn on the cover, it only adds to the enchantment.

But ah me, I am also quilty of buying leather and making the bok covers and embossing with champagne gold letters and such. It is my need for ambience, shame on me. :)